Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ultraviolet

Are you familiar with all of the colors in the spectrum? Everybody knows the colors red, yellow and blue. Those three colors are called primary colors. They are called "primary" because all other colors can be made using some combination of those three primary colors. The absence of any color is known as black. The presence of ALL colors is known as white. Don't believe me? Watch these scientists prove it.


God has blessed us with eyes to see all the beautiful colors this world contains. Green trees, colorful flowers and beautiful sunset are but a few of the many colors we can see everyday. Those who CAN see anyway. Some people are born blind. It's those people I will be writing about today. First, I'd like to share something from the Book of Colossians.

"15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister."
- Colossians 1:15-23

Did you catch what Paul said in verse 16?

"16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and . . . invisible,"

God created invisible stuff! Don't believe me? Look at the color chart at the beginning of this story. See where it says "UV" off to the left? That's stands for ultraviolet. We humans cannot see ultraviolet light, but we know that it exists.

When I was in the Boy Scouts we liked to tell ghost stories around the campfire. One kid told a story about an Ultraviolet Monster who could not be seen . . . and, of course, craved human flesh. All that anyone ever saw was its footprints and, of course, all the blood left behind by its victims. Mu-a-ha-ha-ha!!!

I struggle mightily with those in our world who are blind to the love and grace of Jesus. As much as I would like to see everyone come to a saving faith in Christ, the truth is that not many will. That saddens me greatly because that number includes many people that I love deeply.

My wife bought me a pair of dress pants this year. She told me the old ones were wearing out. She told me that me new pants are green. When I look at them they sure seem dark grey to me. They even look different in florescent lighting than they do in incandescent light. So what should I do? I could say "NO! They're not green, they're grey!" or I could trust my wife who picked out my pants and told me they are green. I have chosen to trust my wife. Why? Because I don't really care. But what if I DID care? What could I do then? What SHOULD I do then?

I suppose I could go to the source - the manufacturer of the pants. They could tell me for sure what color the pants were. But where do we go when we want to find out the truth about God? Well, how about The Bible - God's Word? Jesus said He was the truth. The important thing is do we trust Him. Do we believe His words?

"42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God. - John 8:42-47

What we must do for our loved ones and friends, is pray. There is nothing we can do ourselves. Jesus told us that "No one comes to the Father unless the Father calls them" (John 14:6). God can use us but we ourselves can do nothing. No, that's not true. We CAN do something. We can pray.

Heavenly Father, thank you SO much for allowing us an opportunity to come before you in prayer. We are not worthy of such an honor. Yet you freely give that to us. Lord, we know that you wish that NO ONE would perish but there are many in our lives that appear to be headed in that direction. Lord, soften their hearts, draw them to Yourself and make them your own, as you have done for us. We thank you and praise you for all that you have done for us despite our sinfulness. We pray for your forgiveness and for your mercy, not only for ourselves but for those who don't even know you. But whatever you chose to do Lord, may your will be done. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment