Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial

As I sit here this morning on this Memorial Day, a day set aside for remembering those who have given their lives defending our country, I can't help but think of the families of those soldiers. How they must weep when they see us forget to mourn for the family members who have died. Instead we have picnics, we go fishing, we mow the lawn.

Where I live the white bass are running on the Wolf River. There will be places where one could easily walk across the river by stepping from boat to boat. For many Memorial Day has become simply a day off from work rather than a day of remembrance. Our focus on what this day is all about has become lost.

I am guilty of this myself. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to go in to work today instead of those who worked 24/7 defending our freedom. I like sleeping in rather than remembering those who slept in foxholes. I enjoy eating brats, hot dogs and hamburgers, hot off the grille rather than those who ate cold C-rations in a damp, dark jungle as the enemy tried to kill them.

Yet the soldier we are supposed to be honoring today willingly gave their lives as a sacrifice for us. And we thanked them by spitting in their faces when they returned from war (Vietnam).

The similarities between the selfless soldiers who gave their lives and our Lord Jesus are many. They would rather not have died yet they did so. How many soldiers, in desperate situations, asked to "have this cup pass from me" but sacrificed themselves on our behalf. How appropriate it is that the graves of our fallen soldiers are marked with a white cross.

What better day to remember not only those who died defending our freedom but those "soldiers" who died defending our faith.

I encourage you today to attend a Memorial Day service where you are. Spend some time standing over the grave of an unknown soldier. And spend some time praying, giving thanks for the martyrs who were killed simply because of their faith. Our soldiers AND our martyrs should be honored, not only on THIS day, but every day, for the sacrifice they made . . . defending our country or for refusing to deny their faith and our King.

Pray . . . give them honor . . . and may their sacrifice never be lost us we who remain.

"12 I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 13 though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." - 1 Timothy 1:12-17

Prayers for the Fallen Facebook Page

Voice of The Martyrs Website

1 comment: