Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Music

Music has got to be one of the most beautifully wonderful creations that God has ever made. Majestic mountains are good, beautiful sunsets, a new-born baby. There are many wonderful things that God has created but somehow music just makes them all seem a little bit better.

Everyone has a favorite song or a song that brings some special memory to mind. One of those songs in my life is Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx. It's one of those "big hair" 80's songs that people used to slow dance to. And that is exactly the picture I always get in my mind whenever I hear it.

I think it was at my cousin Roberta's wedding. We were at the reception when this song began to play. My daughter and my niece, both quite young at the time, maybe seven or eight, had a crush on my cousin Mark, a handsome young man in his 20's. Well, when the song began he asked them if they would like to dance. They ran into his open arms and he picked them both up - one in each arm. He began swaying back and forth as they blushed. It was a very special moment in the lives of those two young ladies and it is a memory that has stuck with me all these years.

I listened to that song today as I began writing this story and I heard something within its words that gave that old song a new meaning for me. It was the chorus. That moment when all songs transition . . . change from the "everyday" to the "extraordinary". The chorus reminds me of how God waits for each of us to come to Him.

Soon, thoughts of how God patiently waits for us came to mind. Though I was old when I came to believe, I ran to Him just like a little kid. Just like my daughter and my niece ran into the arms of their cousin.

Do you get that feeling when you come before God in prayer? Do you anxiously wait for the next time you can "dance" with your King? Do that this morning. Run to Him and melt into His arms. Give Him thanks and praise for all He has done and all He has yet to do. It's time to remember the chorus of that old song . . .

"Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you."

What songs bring you closer to God? Is it a hymn? Is it a good ol' country song or a rock ballad? Whatever it is, play it! Put it on repeat until it's lyrics and melody echo in your head. And then get down on your knees in prayer. He is patiently waiting for you.

"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." - 2 Peter 3:9

We must recognize our sinful nature and come to Him in repentance. He will forgive our sins. And then we can dance. What are we waiting for? He's right there . . . waiting.

Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment