Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Witness

I must have looked like an absolute fool yesterday at work - some kind of non-caring, cold-hearted, lousy excuse for a human if there ever was one. The day after burying my dad I was back at work . . . smiling and telling people what a wonderful weekend it was. Why was I feeling do good?

There are may reasons for my joy just one day after burying my father in Michigan. Here's a short list:

Everyone had safe travels to and from the funeral, my father was no longer suffering due to his Alzheimer's or pneumonia, my mother's burden of caring for an Alzheimer's patient (a 24/7/365 job) had now been lifted, all immediate family members got to say good bye and tell my dad that we loved him, my dad is now in heaven with Jesus, and I have complete confidence that I will see my dad again. Other than the fact that we will miss him I really see no down-side. In fact, there were additional benefits I never even imagined.

My first day back at work, I felt a little like John the Baptist. The feeling was amazing! I have never felt like that before. I was actually feeling joy two days after my dad's funeral! And I was sharing it! I believe that the confidence and joy I was experiencing was a gift from God and as the opportunities came to witness to others I was able to recognize them . . . and didn't miss a one.

The people I work with are amazing. They are much like family in many ways. We care about each other. We pray for each other. We love each other. It was only natural that people would seek me out and ask me how I was doing. So I told them.

I told them that I was actually feeling great. I told them about the compassion and the mercy of God and how He had blessed us in the ways I mentioned above. And I said, "How merciful was God as He slowly, painlessly, took my dad to be with Him." Some might look at death as a VERY final thing. But the Christian does not. It is the beginning and God is so kind.

Have you ever heard the Seals & Crofts song "Wayland The Rabbit"? It is a song of mercy and God's compassion, even in death (There's a link at the bottom of this post). The song is a story about a father and son who happened upon a dead rabbit (Wayland), frozen in the snow. The son was sad but the father remarked how merciful God had been, much less than if the rabbit had been killed by a wolf or an owl.

Whenever I hear the word "witness" I think about my audio Bible version of The Book of John. In chapter one the narrator reads this verse and places an strong emphasis on the word "witness."

"6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness . . ." John 1:6-7

I witnessed to 18 people about the love, grace and mercy of Jesus Christ Tuesday! The final one as I was leaving the office. I can't help it. People ask me how I am doing and the first words that come out of my mouth are, "I'm going amazing! Other than the fact tat I will miss my dad greatly, there is no down-side to his death. His suffering is over, the burden on my mom and sister of caring for an Alzheimer's victim has ended, me dad's in heaven, I KNOW that I will see him again." PLUS, I get to tell others about Jesus!

There has never been nor will there ever be a more merciful, compassionate, caring, love God that my King! And as the song goes . . .

"And God is so kind."

Wayland The Rabbit - Seals & Crofts

No comments:

Post a Comment