In the book of Second Corinthians Paul exhorts us to examine ourselves, to see whether or not we are truly walking with Jesus. Who knows, maybe we only THINK we are doing fine in our faith walk but in reality we might be actually going down a path that leads away from Him.
As I am writing this it is Labor Day, Monday. It is a day on which I would normally be at work. If we are truly to examine ourselves work is a good place to start. The question I keep asking myself is, "Is what I am doing now for a career honoring to God?" Another question is like it. "Am I serving God in the things that I do?"
It's a little late in the game for me to be asking myself that question. I'll probably be retiring in a few years. But what will I be doing then? How will I be serving God? Will I be honoring Him in what I do? And WHAT will I do?
I think the first thing we need to do when we are looking for a job or making a career choice is to approach the whole topic with God in mind. We need to assess our career choices and use The Bible as our guide. With that in mind I came up with a short list of things to consider when seeking a job, choosing a career field, or simply desiring to serve God.
- Pray. The first thing we should do under any circumstance is pray. - "33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." - Matthew 6:33
- Examine. We should take a look at ourselves to see what gifts God has given us. Are you compassionate? Maybe you should be a counselor or a care-giver. Are you strong? Maybe you should be a laborer or a trainer?
- Test. We might think we have a particular gift but do we really? Ask a friend to give you an honest assessment.
- Train. Once you have narrowed things down, take some classes, learn all you can. Improve yourself in the area you want to get in to.
- Seek. We need to gain experience in the field we are hoping to enter. Volunteer doing something similar. Seek out employment opportunities.
- Serve. "23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men," - Colossians 3:23
Develop Your Gifts And Talents To Glorify God