Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Build

How do we know when we have been called by God to do something? How do we know it's from God rather than from somewhere else? How do we know that God wants us to do something if He doesn't actually speak to us or provide us with a pillar of fire to get our attention?

As I approach the two-year anniversary of writing this blog I am going to be making some changes. The frequency of the postings will change from three times each week to only once. There are several reasons I am going to be doing this but the main one is that it will give me more time to devote to other things. Those "other things" are really what this post is going to be all about - following God's will.

How do I know this is the right thing to do? How do I know that I am not making a mistake? After all, I love to write. Well, I still will be writing. I will just be doing it less. The most important thing to me is pleasing God - to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love others.

I have heard a lot of people saying they "want to be in God's will" or they "want to know what God's will is for their life." Well, to come to the aid of all the poor wandering souls out there who don't have a clue what God's will is, hear this!

I don't either.

But I have come up with a short list of ways we can determine whether something is "of God" or not. It's probably not all-inclusive like a Carnival Cruise but the following list of things I have found to be true.

How do we know when God wants us to do something? How can we know what God wants us to do?
  1. Read the Bible. All the answers really are in there. You will find them. Stay true to God's Word, even when it might seem there might be some other answer to go. There isn't.
  2. You won't necessarily want to do whatever it is God wants you to do. Look at Moses. He didn't want to do what God wanted him to do. Yet he did. And he did pretty darn good.
  3. It's WAY bigger than you can handle by yourself. That's how God like to work in you. He will stretch you and make you grow, all for His ultimate glory. Read about Elisha in 1 Kings for your inspiration.
  4. This nudging you are feeling . . . if it is from God, it simply will not go away. It's possible that some other force could be trying to get you to do something evil, but if what you are about to do brings glory to God? Go for it!
  5. God often accomplishes multiple things through one of his "events." I have a friend who is gifted at sewing. She uses that gift to teach others to sew. And while she is doing that she talks to them about their faith. She wins, her students win and God gets all the glory.
  6. God will accomplish things though you that you never even imagined. A simple smile can change someone's life. Just taking the time to talk with someone can change someone's life. I know. It happened to me.
  7. God will provide clues for you along the way to your final decision to act. "That's the third time I heard that song today." "I was just thinking about calling you!"
  8. God provides opportunities. God opens doors. I saw this happen just a few days ago. A young man comes into the local food pantry. He can't find work. He talks to someone there who knows someone in need of some help. Everybody wins. God gets the glory.
  9. God provides resources. A man learns of a family who needs firewood. The following day there is a storm and a large tree falls over in teh man's yard. Need wood?
There is nothing God can't do and there are amazing things that God can do through us! All we have to do is be obedient. Read His Word so that we will know the character of God and how He works in the lives of the people who love Him.
So, what am I going to be doing with my extra time now that I am backing off on my writing a bit? Well, I am going to be using other gifts that God has given me. I will be bringing Him glory by answering his call and helping others help themselves. There are clues hidden in this blog post actually. This thing is bigger than me but God has provided the nudges, the resources, the skills and the desire to accomplish His will "on earth as it is in heaven." Stay tuned. I'm sure I'll be writing about it.

And thanks for reading! One month from today I will be transferring my energies in a different direction. Please pray for me and pray that God will be honored in everything I say and do. Thank you. It means a lot that you would take the time to read my stories about the God I love so much.

24The Lord bless you and keep you; 25 The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; 26 The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.” - Numbers 6:24-26

We Build - Nicole Nordeman

No comments:

Post a Comment