Sunday, December 14, 2014

God's Plan For Your Life

It wasn't too long after I became a Christian that I figured out God wanted more from me than to simply go to church on Sunday. I think it was when I finally got around to reading the Old Testament for the first time that I began getting a clue. When I read the following verse in the book of Jeremiah I began wondering if God had a plan for ME. He does! And He has a plan for you too!

"11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Was God talking specifically to me in that verse? No. But it sure seemed like He was. In that particular verse, God was talking to Israel. But God is God. He knows everything! He knows the stupid mistakes we are going to make before we even make them. God is sovereign. That means He rules over all. And He is also omnipotent. That means God has unlimited power. In other words, God can do anything. God is also omnipresent. That means God is in ALL places at ALL times. Wow. Talk about super-powers!!

It is true that God DOES have a plan for me. Keep in mind though that He has seen everything in your past and knows everything that is going to happen to you in the future. He knows EVERYTHING!!

But what are God's plans for you and me? How do we know what His plan is? If we knew THAT we could  get on board with it, right? If I could figure out what God's plan for me was I could direct my life and decisions to help God accomplish His mission in me. Right?

No.

God does not need our help. He can do anything - omnipotent, remember? He don't need squat! But He still has a plan for us. Check out these verses.

"But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:2

But what does God want from us? Just what is the plan, Stan? Are you ready?

God's plan for us is that we would be transformed (Romans 12:2) into the image of His Son - Jesus.

That's it. But that is a lot. Read the New Testament. It is filled with information about Jesus and how we are supposed to be like him as we learn and grow in our faith. Have you ever heard the phrase "What Would Jesus Do?" That's a good question to ask ourselves when we encounter people and situations in our lives. Becoming more like Jesus in our relationships, loving everyone, having compassion and mercy for others when they are hurting, forgiving others when they wrong us, all that God's plan for each and every one of us. Look at how Jesus lived His life. Jesus is a blueprint for the way we are to live ours.

You have heard of the fruits of the spirit, right? Galatians 5:22-23 . . .

"love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

Do you exhibit ALL those characteristics? My personal answer is 'not always'. But I should. We are supposed to! I am still learning and growing just like you are. It's called sanctification. Sanctification is a life-long process that culminates when we transition into the next life. But in THIS life, while we are still here, we are to become the image of Jesus to everyone we meet.

Question . . .

Who will you be Jesus to today?

"But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth." - 2 Thessalonians 2:13

Preaching Sanctification - Matt Chandler, Derek Thomas, Kevin DeYoung, John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment