Saturday, February 21, 2015

"You've Been Living In A Dream World, Neo"

I can't help but think about the movie The Matrix these days. I watch all of the Facebook posts scrolling down the screen like all those green characters on Tank's monitor. I think about the world in which we live and how all the people in it are SO much like all of the "unplugged" people in that movie. And just like Neo, we've all been living in a dream world.

What Is Real - The Matrix

So what has happened to us? Why are we so worldly? What has caused us to think that WE are the most important person in our lives? We might as well change our names to Neo because we have been living in a dream world.

"2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:2

Take a look at our school system for example. It has evolved into something "other-worldly" - teaching our children what The Establishment thinks is right rather than what our children's parents deem to be important. Is it any wonder our kids emerge from a dozen years of indoctrination with a slightly skewed point of view? And we send them into that pagan system willingly! Almost encouragingly.

The Importance Of A Christian Education In Discipleship - Voddie Baucham & R.C. Sproul

There was a time in this country when The Bible was read in school but we don't do that anymore. Why? Because God has been systematically removed from our schools . . . and our children. It may sound a little paranoid, like some grand conspiracy theory, but it IS real and this indoctrination IS happening.

Indoctrination - The Movie

I encourage you to take a step back and look at the world in which you live. What do you do in it? Do you have a job? Do you go to school? What do you do with your time off? What are you doing in your spare time? Make a list if you'd like. Now take a look at the items on your list and ask yourself, "How are each of these things honoring to God?" My guess is that not many will pass that test. Same with MY list. We are all living in a world made up of our own interests.

We must become more like Christ and less like the world in which we live. But how? "Take every thought captive" (2 Corinthians 10:5). We must eliminate the ungodly parts of our lives and "seek first His Kingdom" (Matthew 6:33). We must replace every sinful thought, every selfish action with God-honoring, sacrificial, pure, humble obedience.

A few years ago I checked my spiritual inventory and found myself lacking in several areas - prayer, reading . . . well, just about every area of my spiritual life to be honest. So I made some changes. I began eliminating things in my life that did not reflect the character of Christ. I turned off the TV and began to read instead. I began to pray each day with a friend at work. I began volunteering in the community. I am still nowhere near where I need to be but I have taken a few steps . . . and my relationship with Jesus has improved. So have my earthly relationships.

Most people I know are still living in "the world." Many have a secular world view. So how do we change that? We can't. But God can.  The only way out of The Matrix is is to get unplugged from this world by a saving faith in Christ. We need to keep praying, keep reading and studying, and keep loving all we encounter each time we venture back into the jungle.

"Live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God." - 1 Peter 4:2

No comments:

Post a Comment