Saturday, April 18, 2015

Time Warp

I just watched the new Star Wars VII movie trailer. Cool. Harrison Ford was in it. Boy, has he changed over the years! Grey hair and wrinkles can never hide that cocky grin. Chewy looked good. Not a touch of grey! Can't tell about the wrinkles.

When I look in the mirror these days I too can see more wrinkles and grey hair than I used to. I still feel young inside but I will admit it takes a little more time to get from Point A to Point B. Why is that? Could it be that I am getting older? Nah.

I have some young friends who like to tease me about my age. They call me a dinosaur. They ask me what it was like to walk the earth when Jesus did. Funny. I don't really mind because I am indeed young at heart.

There are two things about getting old that I find incredibly useful, especially later in life - experience and wisdom. Experience comes naturally. As we get older we just naturally go through more "stuff." Simply by being "old" I know more stuff through my experiences. My 62 years of experience on this earth trumps the experience of most 19-20 year olds for example. It makes sense. Wisdom, on the other hand, is harder to come by.

I heard someone once say that "intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put one on a cake." That's true. Wisdom can be very beneficial, especial when baking cakes! Correct, timely application of knowledge. Now THAT is wisdom.

Wisdom is usually something that comes slowly with age but it is possible to obtain wisdom without spending years and years to obtain it. Kind of a time warp for the wise. Pray for it.

"5 At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, “Ask what I shall give you.” 6 And Solomon said, “You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and have given him a son to sit on his throne this day. 7 And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. 9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?”

10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. 11 And God said to him, “Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, 12 behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. 13 I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days. 14 And if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.”
- 1 Kings 3:5-14

Solomon asked and received. Have you asked God to give you wisdom? I'm not saying that you will be made wise like Solomon was but seek God in ALL things. If you do this, you can't help but become wise.

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (Trailer #2)

The Wisdom of Solomon - Moody Bible Story

No comments:

Post a Comment