Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Up Nort Der Hey

Door County is one of Wisconsin's favorite vacation getaways. It is also one of favorite vacation destinations for the entire state of Illinois! Or so it seems. We all have our special places we like to go to get away from it all.

Where do you like to go? The beach? Do you just stay at home to get away from it all? Is your "get away" location a bathtub and a cup of coffee?

Have you ever noticed how most people like to go "up north." My wife and I live in Waupaca, Wisconsin. Waupaca is a vacation destination for many from the Milwaukee area or from Chicago. For them, WE are "up north." So where do WE in the Waupaca area go for vacation? WE too go up north - Eagle River, Tomahawk, Canada.

All this raises a question. Where do Eskimos go for there vacation? They are as "up north" as they can go! The only place they can go is "down south." That makes be think there is SOMEPLACE in between where you don't need to travel for vacation at all. There is someplace where people can live that is ALREADY the perfect destination spot. And guess what . . . Shhhh! . . . I have found it. :O

The place I go to "get away from it all" is very close to where I live. I don't need to get packed. I don't need to fill the gas tank or have a change of clothes to weigh me down. My secret vacation destination, the place where I go to relax and calm down from all the activity, noise and busyness, fits right in the palm of my hands.

No! It's not a phone or a laptop. It's my Bible.

Whenever I feel like I need to take a break, whenever I need to just get away, I open up my Bible and I turn to the Book of Romans . . . chapter eight. MY favorite vacation destination. Won't you please join me?

Romans 8

After I get done reading that chapter I just feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from these incredibly old shoulders of mine. I feel rested and relaxed. All my cares are gone and the sunshine seems just a little brighter. All the benefits of a vacation without having to leave my house.

My prayer for you this morning is that you would take a vacation break, right where you are. Open up your Bible and read Romans eight. You too may find rest and relaxation in the arms of Christ.

"38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38-39

Amen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment