Monday, September 14, 2015

The Pain of Loss

I sat here last night feeling exhausted. After spending the day visiting friends who are struggling in their family relationships I came home to find out that three other friends had just lost their dad / spouse. What do we say in situations like that? What do we do to express the hurt and sadness we ourselves feel on be half of our friends for the pain they are experiencing?

Sometimes we choose to say nothing, thinking, "Why bring it up? It will just keep the wound open. I don't want to say the wrong thing either. I'll just say nothing." Well, that's just plain dumb. Good motives I guess but during a time such as the death of a loved one or when a friend is suffering, showing love and compassion can never be a bad thing.

Not saying anything in a friends time of sorrow is only okay if you are standing right there next to them. Otherwise, it's like you are ignoring them during their pain. Unacceptable.

When I first hear of someone's struggle or a death in a friend's family, my first instinct is to get into my car and take off, drive to wherever they are, and simply BE with them. That's not always practical late at night or over long distances, but the desire is still there. However, there IS someone who is standing next to those who have suffered a loss or are struggling - God.

When we can't be with someone to express our sorrow we CAN get down on our knees and pray for them. Pray that the burdens they are bearing might become lighter, that memories of good times might burn brighter and that God might pour his love on our friends or family members when we are physically unable to do so.

So this morning I lift up my friends. I lift them up in prayer to my compassionate and loving King. I trust in His promises that he will gather them under His wings and keep them safe and warm. He will wipe away their tears through the loves He distributes through family and friends. But mostly I thank God for His hearing our prayers and then doing something in the lives of those we love.

May God rain down his compassion and mercy on you, my friends. And may your love for Him grow stronger during the storm you are facing. And may He give you peace.

"3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too." - 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Cry Out To Jesus - Third Day


No comments:

Post a Comment