Monday, September 28, 2015

What Would You Tell Me?

I saw something on Facebook the other day that made me stop and think for a moment. It was one of those meme things - a picture with some words written on it. It read, "What would you tell me if I lost my memory." Interesting question. Interesting scenario.

As I thought about it I began to see the question posed as a real test of character. And the answer greatly depends on who the person is who lost their memory, and what they mean to those who try to answer.

Imagine that one of your friends lost their memory. What would you tell them? Would you tell them the truth, both good and bad? Or would you try to protect them from certain memories so they wouldn't have to live through those memories again? Would you filter the truth?

Here's another question, perhaps a little more tricky than the last. Do you have a friend who you wish could lose some of their memories? I do. I think they'd like to lose so of those memories as well. But we can't do that. We can lift them up in  prayer though.

The purpose of this story is to get us thinking about others and the role we play in other people's lives. Have you lived your life so you are a pleasant memory? Or and the Bible puts it, "A pleasing aroma to God."

"Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good." - Psalm 25:7

Today, love somebody just a little bit more than you usually do. Seek out those who are hurting. Comfort them with the same love that our savior has shown to us. Use His love for you to create a lasting memory in the mind a heart of someone else. Help someone forget their bad memories by replacing them with good ones through the love of Christ.

"8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; 12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." - Psalm 103:8-12

East To West - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment