Thursday, September 17, 2015

Who Inspires You?

If we look back at our lives we probably can think of people that we have encountered along the way that have inspired us. They inspired us to do something more, to rise above the average, or to make a difference in a positive way.

Many inspire us through their actions, causing us to stop and take notice and say, "Wow. That's really neat." or "I wish I was that giving."

Some inspire us with their words. A pastor delivering a powerful message for example. Or hearing someone's testimony of how they came to faith in Christ despite all the difficulties and struggles they faced. THAT is inspiring!

My sister once gave me an oil painting of a bald eagle. It wasn't very good really by the world's standards. I could tell it was a bald eagle but it wasn't as good as other eagle paintings I had seen. That is, until I learned that the artist did not have any legs or arms. This person had painted the entire picture using a paintbrush placed in their mouth. Suddenly . . . that painting! WOW!

I recently asked a group of teens and young adults who inspired THEM. Some of the answers were amazing. One young lady said it was the music director at her church who inspired her to play and write music. Another said it was a man who runs the local food pantry, helping to feed the areas poor.

My friend Cheri inspires me. She has an incredible passion for youth, especially in under-developed countries. She volunteers with Compassion International. She is currently in Africa visiting some of her 8 0r 9 sponsored kids. Imagine . . . someone with Compassion working FOR compassion. Kind of fits. :)

I have a friend named Kelly who inspires me. She and her husband Ben have a room in their house Kelly calls "God's room." It's for whoever God brings into their lives who needs a place to stay and a family that will love them.

My wife inspires me too with her love and devotion to family and her ceaseless work. My best friend inspires me when she prays for her children and her husband and through her desire to know God more. My kids inspire me as I watch them starting families of their own. My friend Cheri inspires me with her love for the lost children of this world through her work with Compassion International.

I have a theory that committing intentional selfless acts are a direct result of God's acting through us in our lives and the lives of those around us. I believe God uses ALL people for His ultimate glory, whether they believe or not. But more so through those who believe. It is God's Holy Spirit that lives in us and acts through us. I feel God is directly responsible for ALL inspiration and he should be praised for it.

The people mentioned here as being "inspirational" have all done something unselfish for someone else? Do you have a person like that in YOUR life? You do! He hung on a cross for you. His name is Jesus.

Are you going to inspire someone today? There may be people around you who are in desperate need of inspiration today and perhaps God has designated YOU to serve Him in that way.

Well? What are you waiting for? Inspire someone today! He will be glad you did.

"36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ - Matthew 22:36-39

This video is a compilation of Liberty Mutual commercials. See if it inspires you to inspire others.

Inspiring Others video

No comments:

Post a Comment