Monday, January 4, 2016

Love's Hidden Secret

As I headed back to work this morning after five days off I realized that I wasn't really looking forward to the trip. I guess most people really aren't looking forward to work on a Monday morning, but this Monday was different.

I usually listen to sermons on the radio or to an audio Bible on my way to work in the morning. It helps to fill the darkness and pass the time on my 45 minute commute. This morning it was the Bible. John 13.

Jesus was nearing the end of his ministry and He was about to reveal to His disciples just who it was who would betray Him.

"21 When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.”  22 Then the disciples looked at one another, perplexed about whom He spoke.

Now I'd like you to notice something in this next verse. Notice the closeness to Jesus and His disciples.

23 Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.  24 Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask who it was of whom He spoke.

25 Then, leaning back on Jesus’ breast, he said to Him, “Lord, who is it?” - John 13:21-25

Jesus and His disciples had walked together for three years. They had been through many trials together and developed a strong love for one another. Jesus washed their feet, instructed them, and "He loved them to the end." As it says in 1 John, "Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." - 1 John 2:15

We are called to love one another and that, I believe, is the key . . . "the secret" if you will. That if we love one another with the same sacrificial love the God loves us with, the bonds of friendship and love grow stronger between us. Our love for God increases with each blessing He gives us in our relationships with others.

Yesterday I talked with and prayed with two good friends of mine - Ali and Dakota. I prayer we each expressed our love for one another and, in praying, our thanks and love to God as well. There is nothing quite like praying with a friend or family member.

In this new year, I encourage you to tell the people in your life that you love them. Shove it right in their faces. How many of your work mates have you told? Your family members? Your friends? I challenge you to tell someone that you love them. Do so today. Make a list and start checking them off.

When I die one day I want people to remember the last thing I said to them. May it always be, "I love you." What greater gift can we lay at the feet of Jesus than to say, "I did what you commanded. I loved my neighbor . . . and I told them so."

We who are followers of Christ have been given and tremendous gift - God's love. Luke 12:48 says, "Of whom much is given, much is required." Let us be about God's business today and spread God's love wherever we go, to whomever we meet.

Your Love Never Fails - Jesus Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment