Did you make any New Year's resolutions this year? I did. I resolved to spend more time in God's Word - The Bible - than I do on Facebook. I spend WAY to much time scrolling down through the news feed and not enough time reading through "the scrolls" of God's living word.
But that's just me. What about you? Are you resolving anything to improve in your life . . . Exercise more perhaps? Get more organized? Or maybe it's something you want to do away with? Smoking cigarettes? Over-eating?
While I was out for my morning walk New Year's Day morning, I was thinking about my "Facebook Fast" resolution and thought I might offer a few verses to encourage others in their resolutions as they scroll through their Facebook feeds. Here they are!
- "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - Matthew 7:12. This should be the Golden Rule of Facebook! Too many times I have seen people trash others and then whine and complain when others do it to them. Galatians 6:7 reminds us that "whatever one sows, he also shall reap."
- "Be slow to speak" - James 1:19. Too often we react to the things that others post on Facebook.
- "Be quick to listen" - James 1:19. Many times Facebook reveals hurting people to us. We are called to have compassion and mercy. Send a private message to those who are going through struggles.
- "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up" - Ephesians 4:29. What a different world Facebook would be is we all followed this advice. This also would include the use of OMG or any variation of the phrase. Unless you are praying, this is a sin
- "Love one another, as I have loved you." - John 13:34. If we all just practiced this command from Jesus our Facebook news feed would be a much better place to live. Our world too!
May 2016 be an amazing year in your life - one in which you draw closer to God, one where you are conformed more closely to the image of His Son, and may His peace, which surpasses all understanding, envelope you. As you draw nearer to God enjoy the peace you will find there and enjoy His many blessings which are sure to come your way.
"Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered." - Proverbs 11:25