Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Why Is The Floor Wet?

Do you think you're a pretty good detective? I mean, given a few clues, do you think you can figure most things out? I'm that way. After 60+ years of experiences I can figure most things out . . . given enough information that is. At least that's what I thought.

This past week something happened in  our house. It happened right under our noses, There was no loud bang or sudden thud. Just subtle little signs here and there of a major problem.

"I must have spilled something while I was fixing dinner," my wife said. "The floor's wet."

That was clue #1 but I had no idea anything else was wrong. I just figured my wife was right so I went about my business. That was a mistake.

The following night my wife made a similar comment about the wet floor in our kitchen. This time I went to investigate.

"You're right. The floor IS wet."

I'm such a sleuth. Nothing gets past me. Only this time I noticed something else. A piece of our laminate flooring was buckling, warping, because of the presence of water. Hmm. Could my wife's spill from the night before STILL be damp?

I got down on my hands and knees and had a look around. There was ANOTHER wet spot. This thing was spreading. What's going on? I called for my wife, who had retreated to the living room. She likes to let the house detective work in peace.

"Let's move the refrigerator out, away from the wall," I suggested. And so we did. And we became enlightened. The entire floor under the refrigerator was wet. There was water slowly dripping from a plumbing fitting . . . loosened over time. Our kitchen flooring was ruined. All because of a little water leaking out of a supply hose. We never noticed it seeping in. All we saw was the after effects. The damage. What once would have been an easy fix, now will cost hundreds of dollars.

Our faith can be like that. Are you a good detective when it comes to apostasy and false teaching creeping into the church? Are you able to discern truth from lies? How DO we know what's truth and what is not?

I have heard it said that the best way to distinguish between a real 20 dollar bill and a counterfeit one is to hold the bill that is in question next to one you know is genuine. Examine it, inspect it. The same is true with the things we hear and see. We should hold them up next to God's Word and compare.

Is what the Pope says true? Your pastor? Your friend? Examine their words. Compare them to what is in the Bible - the Word of God. Do your own investigation. Examine the evidence. There can only be one truth. Find it. Follow it. Remember it.

"And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone’s opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances." - Matthew 22:16

"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." - John 1:17

What Is The Truth - The Passion of The Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment