Monday, March 21, 2016

Do You Have A Family Like Mine?

After being away from home the past two weekends it sure was good to be back to worship at my home church. The guy I usually sit next to, Robbie, greeted me warmly, saying he was concerned that I was sick because I hadn't been there the past few Sunday's.

When I got home after church my wife asked me how the service was. I related the story of Robbie's concern to her to which she replied, "No one asked me where I had been these past two Sundays." And that is exactly the problem the many churches today. They are not . . . a family.

My wife belongs to a different church than me. Theological differences and the importance of "tradition" keep us from worshiping together. Her church is much larger than mine, filled with tradition, liturgy, robes and a pipe organ. The church I attend is much smaller, has no liturgy or tradition and the worship team is composed of two grey-haired gentlemen with guitars. But that's the beauty of the church I attend. It's simple, it's humble, and it's . . . a family.

Big churches are okay I guess but I prefer small ones. They're more family like. In bigger churches it's hard to feel like part of the family when you have 1000 or more brothers and sisters. Still, even though the early church was small, God added to their number daily and it grew quite large.

Small groups might seem like the answer - smaller size, more intimate relationships - but the accuracy of scriptural knowledge and theological discussions are dependent upon the most educated person in the bunch. Sometimes that's a drawback.

What make a church family a family? Well, the first thing is the Holy Spirit. He is that common thread that binds us together. Our mutual faith in God is another thing. When we believe the same things it is very easy to get along . . . just like family.

My earthly family is great but we do not always agree with one another, theologically speaking, That is not the case with my church family. We all love Jesus, we all believe He is the Son of the Living God. He was crucified, died and was buried but then on the third day He rose from the grave and walked among His "family."

Family is a precious thing. It is a gift that is given from God, but it can sometimes be lost. When we lose a family member it is always a difficult thing to go through. But family helps. Family helps us get through.

The Easter season is upon us or, as my church likes to call it, Resurrection Sunday. Have you come to know Jesus yet? All will get to meet Him one day. Some will be happy to do so. Others will not be as joyous. How amazing would it be if entire families were called to be a part of God's eternal family.

We all have a choice. Has God called you to be part of His family?? Is He knocking on your door?

"20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” - Revelation 3:20-22

Lauren Scruggs - I Am Second

No comments:

Post a Comment