Saturday, May 7, 2016

Joy In Obedience

I went for a walk before supper Thursday night. For some reason I decided to walk in the woods rather than around the subdivision. That decision made all the difference between a normal "blah" night and an unforgettable one.

There is an active fox den near our house. I have taken people to see it but all we ever saw was footprints and turkey feathers. That's all I ever saw too. Until last night that is.

As I approached the den I suddenly saw movement! Could it be a fox? No. It was! It was a baby fox! No! Two foxes!! THREE!!! I remained motionless because they too had seen movement in the woods. Me!

So we watched each other for a few minutes before I decided to go back and get my camera and my big telephoto lens. I returned more quietly and took some pictures. There are several things I have noticed in sneaking up on wildlife. Don't make any sudden movements, make as little noise as possible, make sure you are downwind, and be patient.

After taking the pictures I went back and got my wife. Seeing something like this is extremely rare and I wanted to share it with her. As we approached the sight of the den I gave her instructions.

"Don't make any sudden movements and don't say a word."

I let her go ahead of me, just so I could observe her joy. Unfortunately there was a mosquito flying around her head so she began swatting at it with her hand. She DID walk very quietly but then she would suddenly squat down to look under branches. Each of her movements sent the kits scurrying for the safety of the den. Her disobedience to instructions of her husband cost her the opportunity to see the three of them playing together. She only saw one brave fox looking at her from the safety of its home.

Our obedience to God is a lot like what my wife experienced last night. If we are faithful and follow God's leading, His instructions, He blesses us. "He will give you the desires of your heart," as the Psalmist said (Psalm 37:4). But we MUST be obedient.

"25 The whole assembly of Judah, and the priests and the Levites, and the whole assembly that came out of Israel, and the sojourners who came out of the land of Israel, and the sojourners who lived in Judah, rejoiced. 26 So there was great joy in Jerusalem, for since the time of Solomon the son of David king of Israel there had been nothing like this in Jerusalem. 27 Then the priests and the Levites arose and blessed the people, and their voice was heard, and their prayer came to his holy habitation in heaven." - 2 Chronicles 30:25-27

Let us be obedient to God in our decisions and the way we live our lives. If we do that we WILL find joy. If my wife had followed "the rules" about sneaking up on wildlife, she would have been blessed to see more than she did.

God is not interested in our happiness. He desires JOY for us. And true joy comes from obedience to Him. We should all begin by obeying THIS command.

"34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” - John 13:34-35

Repeat the sounding joy!

Joy To The World - Pentatonix

No comments:

Post a Comment