Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Frustrated Christian

I have been thinking about changing the name of my blog to something like the title of this post - The Frustrated Christian. Life in the world we live in can be VERY frustrating! I don't think there is a day that goes by lately where I don't feel frustrated in some way. And I don't think I am alone either.

Maybe I should just quit watching the news. But to "stick my head in the sand" doesn't eliminate the crazy things that are happening. The president of our once-great nation is now ordering all of our schools to allow boys and girls to use whatever bathroom or locker room they wish. This has got to be very frustrating to ALL Christians.

The reason for the frustration is, Christians are, by definition, followers of Christ. We desire to do what our Sovereign Lord says. We read the Bible and get our direction from God through His Word and His Holy Spirit. When that direction differs from what "the world" thinks. Yep, frustrating.

I am currently reading through the Book of Ezekiel. I think God gets very frustrated as well. Most of the chapters end with the phrase, "THEN you will know that I am The Lord!" God's frustration comes from the disobedience of the Israelites.

I once heard someone say, "God is patient but He is NOT tolerant. Honestly, I find myself waiting for some kind of heavenly "spanking" because we as a people have not been following His commands.

Christianity is also very frustrating when we have unbelieving friends and family members. We see these loved ones, living like the world tells them to. They think they are successful by the world's standards. But by God's standards they are considered lost, worshiping idols, and blasphemers. Knowing what awaits these loved ones of ours, without repentance and belief in God, is VERY frustrating!

Being frustrated is a GOOD thing I guess. At least we know we are on the right track in our faith. But it doesn't remove the frustration.

So what do we do as Christians?

Instruction for the Christian is written all throughout the Bible. We who believe are to persevere in times of trial. We are to be obedient to God. We are to humble ourselves and seek God's face. We must be patient, and we are to pray!!

A reminder from Jesus . . .

"33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33

This world can be a very frustrating place in which to live but God put us here for a reason. Is it to be frustrated? No. God placed us here to be a "city on a hill!"

In the Sermon on The Mount, Jesus gave us this instruction:

14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5:14-16

When we get frustrated with the news and frustrated with the unbelief of others, let us place our faith and hope in Christ all the more. Let us shine that much brighter. We are called to be "a light in a dark world." Let's turn up the power!

God has called us to join Him in the battle against the principalities and powers of this world. Let's suit up with the Ephesians 6 armor that God gave us!

"12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesians 6:121

God did not give us a spirit of frustration or fear. He gave us power to overcome these frustrations in His Word and with His Holy Spirit. Let us, therefore, shine like a beacon for all to see. Let people know who we belong to. Instead of frustration, let us shine all the brighter. That's our duty and our command from God. Let it shine!!!

Shine Your Light - Nichole Nordeman

2 comments:

  1. I try to shine everyday, and I think my light is burning. So why don't others see it? Why Do I feel so alone and in the dark?
    If I happen to turn on the news expecting an interesting story they told us in the commercial was going to be there, then the first thing I see and here is how children are being Tortured And Murdered. Now I turn off the news and can't get what I saw and heard out of my mind.
    It's so hard to not expose myself to evil every second. I tried to raise my family in the Christian faith. But as I sit and watch I see the evil creep in. Can it be stopped? How? They don't want to here it anymore!!!!
    Thank you for you blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a thought thing, living in this world once our eyes are opened. You are right. Evil is everywhere we look it seems and you are right on about the commercials. Just when we think we've found a "safe" show, the commercials attack us. It is difficult to keep these things from entering into our world but we don't have to keep them there. I pick up my Bible and read a few chapters when I have encountered "too much." Hang in there and never give up the fight. Consider it a test to see if we have what it takes. Thank you for your comment. :)

      Delete