Saturday, July 2, 2016

Contented Peace

My wife and I watched as two young friends of mine got married this past Saturday. "So young," I thought. Then I remembered that my wife and I were the same age as when WE got married. Gulp! Wow! Where does the time go?

In a couple of months my wife and I will have been married for 39 years. That's 273 in dog years. Not that THAT is important. Just proving I still have my math skills.

There is a certain contentment that comes to a relationship when you have been with someone for a while. Kind of a peace, knowing that they will never leave you and that you will never leave them. I pray that for my two young friends. And EVERYONE ELSE for that matter.

As a former youth leader I have seen my share of breakups. Young hearts, once SO sure they have found the right one, only to see their once-solid relationship fall apart. "Why?" they ask. Well, that's a secret. At least to them it is. There is good advice to be had in the relationship world. The problem is no one takes the time to look for it.

So . . . you wanna know the secret to lasting relationships? Of course you do. And, yes, the secret can be found in the Bible. It's in the Book of Hebrews, the 13th chapter . . . just to name ONE spot it can be found in God's amazing instruction manual on love.

"13 Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. 3 Remember the prisoners as if chained with them - those who are mistreated - since you yourselves are in the body also.

4 Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we may boldly say:

“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?”

7 Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."
- Hebrews 13:1-8

Look at all that amazing advice!

Love all people as if they were family. Love strangers that way too! Love all those in prison as well. Love your enemies. Honor your marriage / relationship. Don't cheat on your significant other. Don't even THINK about it! And here's the big one. Be content with what you have. God has given you this person to love. And you're looking around for someone better? What?!?

Being content with what you have, and glorifying God because you have those things, is the first step toward being blessed by God. If you truly love God He will bless you but not in the ways some prosperity preachers tell you. You're not going to suddenly come into a large sum of money. You will blessed in love and in your relationships. And isn't that the most important thing? Being content with what you have is a command. All we need to do is obey.

Contentment and Gratitude - Dave Ramsey

No comments:

Post a Comment