Monday, August 22, 2016

Bob? The Builder?

Bob the Builder is a British children's animated television show. In each episode, Bob and his group help with renovations, construction, and repairs and with other projects as needed. The show emphasizes conflict resolution, co-operation, socialization and various learning skills. Bob's catchphrase is "Can we fix it?", to which the other characters respond with "Yes we can!" (Wikipedia).

"Can we fix it?" Fix what? Hmm. Interesting question, especially after my Sunday morning reading:

"9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. - 1 Corinthians 3:9-11

I am getting ready to embark on a building project. I don't have any supplies yet. I don't have enough money in the bank to complete the project. On paper, this project is doomed to failure before it even begins. It doesn't make very good business sense. Naturally, I am going to do it anyway. Why?
The last verse above (v11) says it all for me lately. The only foundation upon which a successful building project can be laid is on Jesus.

I am getting ready to build a Tiny Home. I'm building it, not so much for my wife and me to live in, but as an emergency shelter for OTHERS to live in. Sounds noble I guess but I found myself stalled in the process. There were several factors contributing to my lack of motion. How am I going to pay for it? Who am I going to find who can help me? Is anybody really going to need this thing? Basically, doubt and fear were blocking my path. That is until . . . today.

This past Saturday I was speaking with a friend at a local food pantry. She told me how she had decided to "be intentional" in her work in Jesus' name. Maybe that should have been the title of this blog post? And then this morning I was listening to a message by Chuck Swindoll on my way to work. It was VERY convicting, delivering the same "be intentional" message found in Jesus Sermon on The Mount.

"24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.

26 “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.” - Matthew 7:24-27

I am reminded of a commercial I saw for a local health clinic. The ad featured local football star Aaron Rodgers. At the end of the commercial Aaron offers four words of encouragement. He simply says, "Let's get after it."

As I look at this project I have ahead of me I have to stop thinking that this is ME doing this. Yes, I can draw plans. Yes, I can build things. But this is not MY project. This is God's project. Bob is not the builder. God is. HE has already laid the foundation. HE has put people in place to help. Now HE is the one encouraging me through a friend to "be intentional" and through a commercial to "get after it" and through His Word Jesus reminds me that to be "hearers" of the Word is not enough. We must be "doers."

Are you procrastinating about something? Why? Procrastination is one of Satan's biggest tools to keep us from honoring God. I need to pray my way out of procrastination. I need to ne intentional about prayer and about honoring God's plan and be faithful, expecting God's provision. And I need to get after it. Today.

Let's Get After It - Prevea Health (Aaron Rodgers)

No comments:

Post a Comment