Saturday, August 20, 2016

Somebody's Knocking

Have you ever noticed the behavior of a child when they really want something? They can be relentless!! And they can be super-annoying too!! LOL! But their behavior can sometimes offer us a good lesson when WE are the ones who want something . . . from God.

After this year's family reunion my grand niece Haley really wanted to play Star Wars. She had been given a toy light saber at the reunion and was getting the most out of it to be sure. She enlisted my wife and me to play along with her little Star Wars game and she would NOT take no for an answer.

She gave my wife and me each a remote - one for the television and the other for the satellite dish. Apparently they had suddenly become light sabers. She would raise her toy light saber and we would raise ours. Then she would hide her light saber and we would hide ours. That was it. That was the extent of her game. We played that game for half an hour! Then she got bored and went to find her mother. Only her mother was nowhere to be seen.

She cried out "Mom. Mom! Mom!!" in her best Stewie voice. No answer, so off she went in search of her mother. She called and searched the entire first floor of the house. No mom. Then her grandma said, "Your mom is feeding baby Luke in the bedroom. So my niece went to the closed bedroom door and pounded on it with her open hand, still calling out, "Mom!!!"

Eventually the door opened and in went Hayley. Persistent little kid. In that short little story acted out by my grand niece, my wife and I witnessed several Bible lessons all rolled into one. Here's a few verses to show you what I mean.

"4 . . ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’” - Luke 10:4-5

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8

"20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." - Revelation 3:20

Are you beginning to see what I mean? Jesus is telling us in Matthew that there is a door between us and Him. He tell us in Luke that we must be persistent about knocking on that door until it is opened. Then again in Matthew 7 we encouraged to learn that the door WILL be opened for us, IF we knock.

But later on in The Book of Revelation, Jesus is the one doing the knocking. And we are the ones opening the door. What does THAT mean? Well, in Revelation, Jesus is talking to the churches . . . Christians. Why would Jesus be knocking at our door? Because some Christians have allowed the door to their hearts to close. Jesus wants to get back in but the door's locked.

Don't let that happen to you. Keep the door to your heart open to Jesus. Don't make Him knock. Allow Him back in. Open that door and take a look around. I bet He's still there, waiting.

Jesus Stands At The Door And Knocks - One Verse 
Mom Mum Mommy - Stewie, Family Guy
Somebody's Knocking - Eric Clapton

No comments:

Post a Comment