Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Passion

I see them in their offices. In early. Staying late. Working through lunch. Working on the weekends. Totally focused on what they're doing. That description applies to many of the people where I work. They have a passion for architecture, for structural design, for designing amazing buildings for the people who need them.

That's the way scripture says we are to work.

"23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Colossians 3:23-24

But what if we aren't excited about our work? What if we aren't working enthusiastically for our employers? Does that mean we are disobeying God? Quite possibly. But maybe not.

What if we are meant to be doing something else? What if God wants us doing something entirely different than what we are doing now? Something we will have a passion for? That begs the question, "What ARE we passionate about? What would we do instead of our current jobs that we could do with a passion for the work?"

Right now in my life I am nearing "retirement". When I think of retirement I get the stereotypical image in my head of an old couple playing golf or on vacation in some quaint European village. I think those pictures we placed in my head by some investment company commercial wanting my money.

I don't want that. I want to work after I retire. But I also want to work with a passion. I have gone to work, doing what I do, for years . . . decades! I want to do something different. Something challenging. Something to glorify my Lord. I want to have passion for what I am doing.

Are you considering a job change in the near future? Are you bored with what you are doing now? There are two questions you should ask yourself. The first is, "What am I passionate about?" And the second is the killer. "Why aren't I doing it right now?" Ouch.

So, I am making plans to do something "more productive" for God.  I am planning on leaving my job - retiring - as soon as I can. Maybe that will be in a year, a month . . . who knows. But I have a drop-dead date in mind. March of 2018. That will be my 65th birthday. If I have not left this job by then, on that day I will.

I have nothing against where I work or the people I work with. This place and these people are like family to me. But I think I am supposed to be doing something else. Something driven with a little more passion than I have right now.

So, what are the first steps to take when considering a job change? Well, step number one is to pray, of course. I have been praying about this for a year or so. Perhaps not as often and as intensely as I should have. But that's because I am "comfortable" I think. We need to be more intentional in our prayers when it comes to major life-changing things. We don't do that because we like to think we are in control of everything. We're not. Or at least we shouldn't be.

The second thing we need to do is to make a plan. Take some steps. Think about the "what-if's" and prayerfully consider each one. The important thing to remember is to faithfully keep God at the center of all things. He should be our "reason" and our "focus".

What is YOUR passion? Are you living it?

If you had to work at the job you're working at right now and not get paid for it, would you still do it? No? Then why are you still doing it?

That question eats away at me. Daily.

Find your passion. Take steps in that direction. Do it while you are young. Find that passion you have a follow it in your career. But your "following" should not be for selfish reasons like playing golf everyday when you are 65 . . . unless THAT is your passion. Ha ha ha!

Our passion should be serving God. The questions is, "How are we going to do that?" What tools has God given us to help us serve Him better?

Get passionate about examining your own gifts and abilities. But do so with God in mind. The minute we place ourselves above God in our passion, we will be doomed to failure. Seek God's will first!

"33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." - Matthew 6:33

Working For A Living - Huey Lewis & Garth Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment