Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Tow Rope

Today is the first day of February. To date, we have been having a particularly icy winter – snow, rain and ice. Nice. I am so grateful that I have a big, four-wheel drive truck. It has saved me on numerous occasions. I theorize the cost of my truck has been paid for in saved towing fees and probable body damage repairs to me regular car.
My most recent purchase for my truck has been that of a tow rope. What better way to demonstrate the love of Jesus than to pull them out of a ditch, right? Well, I have yet to use it.
Yesterday, on my way to work, I saw a car in the ditch, flashers flashing. They had tried to turn a corner and failed. So me and my tow rope looked for a place to turn around. Unfortunately for me, by the time I got turned around and returned to the accident scene, there was already a tow truck there. Darn! I am 0-for-2 on my ditch rescue attempts this year.
Later that morning, while sitting in the dentist chair, I was reflecting on the function of the tow rope, its importance and how it relates perfectly to the Holy Spirits role in our evangelistic efforts (What else is there to think about in a dentist's chair?). There are several things involved in any ditch rescue scenario. Check these out and how they compare.
  1. Weather - wintery conditions and storms can keep us from arriving at our destination. In our faith lives, sin does that.
  2. Road conditions - when the roads are slippery it is easy to slide off the road. Temptation does the same thing to us as we try navigating our way through this fallen world.
  3. The victim - that's us in both scenarios.
  4. The victim’s car - that represents the lives we live/
  5. The rescuer - That's us in the role Jesus modeled for us - reaching out to others.
  6. The rescuer’s truck - This is similar to the tow rope's function but I will compare this to God's Word. The Bible equips us for speaking to others about Jesus.
  7. The tow rope - This is God's Holy Spirit. Nobody is going anywhere with out the Holy Spirit moving and coaxing them.
  8. The desire of the victim to be rescued - Most people stuck in ditches are happy to be rescued. Not so in the world in which we live. Most do not even know they need to ne rescued.
  9. The desire of the rescuer to help the victim - This ig God's Holy Spirit working in us - to reach out in love to those who are stuck and don't know Jesus. God wishes that none should perish.
  10. Prayer - This is what makes things work. We pray for people to be open to hearing God's Word. We pray for those stuck in ditches AND in life. We pray that God would soften hearts and open minds to the possibility of and eternal rescue.
Do you know someone who is stuck in life's ditch? How will you help get them out? Do you carry a tow rope in YOUR vehicle? May we be ever-ready to help those in need -the lost, the hurting, those struggling with life. Imagine the look on their faces when someone cares enough to stop and offer help in their hour of need.

"15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." - 1 Peter 3:15

Dodge Pulling a Jeep Out Of The Mud

No comments:

Post a Comment