We and a handful of others were invited to another couple's house to discuss helping others in our community. We ate, we prayed, we had fellowship, we worshiped and we shared food with one another. Sounds a lot like the early church if you ask me.
Church back then was not like it is now. That, I think, is a bad thing. Churches of today are a shadow of what they used to be. They have become businesses and entertainment places. Let's do a little research in the Book of Acts and you will soon see what I mean. Acts 2.
"42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." - Acts 2:42-47
How many of these characteristics does your church have?
- Do you devote yourselves to God's teaching?
- Are you devoted to one another in fellowship?
- Do we break bread with one another?
- Do you pray together?
- Do you give things to one another, when there is a need?
- Do you meet in some way . . . every day?
- Do you share meals in each others homes?
- Do all your members have glad and sincere hearts?
- Do you spend time praising God?
- Do others in your community look at your church favorably?
We have the transforming power of the Holy Spirit living in us. Shouldn't that inspire us? Let us reach out and BE "the church" today! :)
What Is The Church?