Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Death Maze

Not everyone has a fun-filled job like mine. Most days are pretty routine around here. I sit at my desk, drawing plans. Friday was an extra-special day though. I got to go out into the field and measure up an asbestos-lined filtration room in a waste water treatment plant. Jealous? Mhmm. I bet you are.

The room literally resembled a maze - a labyrinth of back and forth dimly lit corridors of darkness. The only light was provided by a bare bulb at the end of each 50-foot long hallway. The walls are filthy. The floors and ceilings were not much cleaner. So, I walked down every pathway, hoping not to touch . . . anything.

I was very grateful for those lights. Without them I wouldn't have had a chance. I would have emerged from my day, just as dirty as what I had walked through.

Walking through this life can be equally disgusting and just as filthy. Each day we are filled with decisions . . . choices . . . opportunities. How will we choose? How close will we get to touching the walls? And what determines our choice of direction? Ourselves? Our God? And what lights our view of the path we are taking? And what shapes the decisions we make?

In case of sudden darkness I like to carry a flashlight with me wherever I go. It's amazing how it can light up dark places.

"105 Your word is a lamp to my feetAnd a light to my path.
106 I have sworn and confirmed
That I will keep Your righteous judgments.
107 I am afflicted very much;
Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.
108 Accept, I pray, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord,
And teach me Your judgments.
109 My life is continually in my hand,
Yet I do not forget Your law.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me,
Yet I have not strayed from Your precepts.
111 Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever,
For they are the rejoicing of my heart.
112 I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes
Forever, to the very end." - Psalm 119:105-112
 
If we walk in darkness without something to guide our footsteps we are bound to stumble and fall. God's Word is our flashlight. The batteries are God's Holy Spirit. It convicts us when we are about to make a wrong turn. It keeps us from danger when we get to close to the edge of the path.
 
This life can be a maze of death unless we have something . . . someone . . . to guide us. By placing our faith in Jesus . . . well, He just lights up a room. So should we, if we have His light within us. Are we shining a light as we walk through the darkness? Let's do it!! This world can use all of the light it can get.
 
"This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." - 1 John 1:5
 
Washed By The Water - Needtobreathe

No comments:

Post a Comment