Monday, April 10, 2017

The Parable of The Forgetful Servant

What was I going to write about today? Oh, yeah. Forgetfulness.

Do you get distracted as you go through the day? I sure do. I'll be planning to do something in the morning and by the time bedtime rolls around it is still undone - put off for another day. Is that forgetfulness? Is that senility creeping in? Is it A.D.D.?

What was I writing about? Oh yeah.

Do you have that problem? Forgetfulness? Or is it really procrastination looking for a scapegoat?

I was in Menard's this past weekend, picking up supplies for my Tiny House. I found some 4'x8' sheets of fiberglass paneling which we WAY in the back corner of the building. When I was in live I suddenly thought, "I grabbed seven sheets, not six." so I went ALL the way back and put one sheet back in the pile.

Returning to the checkout line the checker said, "How many sheets of that paneling do you have?"

"Six!" I replied.

"I only see five sir."

I counter them. He was right. I had him charge me for six, left my cart there, and walked ALL the way to the back of the store, picked up the one sheet(the same one I had placed there just 10 minutes before) and returned to the front. Sigh.

I can start out the day with the best intentions of reading my Bible in the morning but I get distracted by Facebook or answering e-mails and before I know it, it's time for work. No time for God in my life I guess. At least that's what I say when I am beating myself up.

God needs to be a priority in my life. Period. He should come before ALL things. God should come before Facebook, before work, before my favorite TV show, before my friends, before family. God should be number one, not last on the aggenda.

So, how can we make that happen? How can we arrange our priorities so that God is always first in our hearts and in our minds? I am writing a few verses to keep with me during the day. Not in my wallet, not closed in a book. To carry with me. Here they are.

"And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” - Luke 10:27

14 “Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” - Joshua 24:14-15

Father, let us always be mindful of you. Let us never forget to take time out of each day to praise you, to thank you for our every breath, and may each of us never forget your sacrifice, grace and mercy that was given to the whole world . . . on the cross. Amen.

Ode To Forgetfulness

No comments:

Post a Comment