Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Help!!


The office where I work is currently being remodeled. Old materials are being replaced with new. There is new paint on the walls, new carpet on the floors, and new music on the intercom system. The all-Beatles channel!

Now, I like the Beatles as much as the next guy but I've been listening to the Beatles for five weeks straight now at work and . . . I need some . . . Help!!

However, this sudden immersion into the songs of my teen years has allowed me to hear these songs in a new way. There are many songs that can be taken "two ways" and the Beatles song Help! is one of those songs. The interpretation of the lyrics depends on your view of the world.

Let's examine the first line of the song for example.

"When I was younger so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in anyway."

Form a secular world view it sounds like an older person, remembering his or her youth, and how they never asked for anybody's help back then. They were too prideful perhaps.

Now read that same line again only from a Biblical world view.

"When I was younger so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in anyway."

Suddenly it sounds like a mature believer reflecting on his immature youth and recognizing his need for help . . . for a Savior.

"Now I find I've changed my mind I've opened up the doors."
He's changed his mind.  And opened up the door?

"7 Lift up your heads, O gates, And be lifted up, O ancient doors, That the King of glory may come in!" - Psalm 24:7

And the chorus sounds more like a prayer than anything else.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
 And I do appreciate you being 'round
 Help me get my feet back on the ground
 Won't you please, please help me?

"16 Turn to me and have mercy on me; show your strength in behalf of your servant; save me, because I serve you just as my mother did. 17 Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me." - Psalm 86:16-17

When we place out faith in Jesus, calling out to God to help us in our time of need, He will answer that prayer. He will open the door. He will help us get back on our feet. Whenever we are down, He will lift us up. How wonderful to have a God who cares, who provides a solid rock upon which we can stand. Our great God who helps those who love Him.

Help! - The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment