Monday, July 3, 2017

Jealous?

I sit here tonight in an empty house. There are no cats to annoy me. No wife to sleep next to tonight. Just a queen-size bed with one lonely pillow in it. It's amazing the places these stories come from and the ways they touch my heart.

I stumbled across a video of a young man from England singing a song in tribute to his friend who died at the age of 18. The song took on a special meaning for me when the young singer explained how he interpreted the lyrics of the song. The song's chorus ends with this line.

"It's hard for me to say, I'm jealous of the way you're happy without me."

The singer in the video said he was jealous of his friend because he knew his friend was now in heaven . . . without him.

Everyone of us has lost someone to death. The older we get the list of the people we lose just keeps getting longer. Although all deaths of loved ones are sad, as we mature as Christians, we discover that, yes, we can be jealous of our dead friend or relative because they are with Jesus . . . and we are not.

I received a thank you card this week from the daughter of my friend Ali who died a few weeks ago. What a treasure that card was to receive. You see, my friend Ali knew she was dying (cancer) so you know what she did? She purchased some thank you cards before she died and signed them all. She did that so those attending her funeral would be thanked, not only by the surviving family members, but by Ali as well. A little piece of her to hold on to.

Am I jealous of her? Not really. But I AM happy for her. Her pain and suffering is over and she has seen Jesus. Okay, I'm a little jealous of that, but only a little. I'll see Him soon enough. Until then I will rejoice for the time Ali and I shared as friends and rejoice that I will get to see her again.

"21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children."
- Revelation 21:1-7

X Factor - 21 year old mechanic sings Labrinth's Jealous
There Will Be A Day - Jeremy Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment