Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Priorities

Hey, yesterday was Independence Day! How did I miss that!?! That's like the biggest day in United States history and I missed it? My wife and I usually go into town and watch the fireworks. This year? totally missed 'em. Our minds must have been elsewhere. And they were.

Our daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl yesterday.  My wife and I were so excited. Nothing could have kept us away from seeing this little pink-faced beauty. Yesterday morning my wife was in Door County - a three-hour drive away from the hospital. Suddenly, with one text message, her priorities were changed and we were on the way to the hospital.

Let's stop and think about our priorities for a moment. What comes first in our lives kind of tells people who we are. If someone looked at you and had to list your top three priorities, what would they be?

Before I came to faith in Christ, my priorities were set. I thought they were pretty good at the time.  Maybe yours are similar.
  1. Family
  2. Work
  3. Friends
After I fully accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, my priorities changed. My LIFE changed. Suddenly. Out of nowhere, Jesus vaulted to the top spot and everything dropped down a notch or two. It was quite an adjustment period.
  1. God
  2. Family
  3. Friends
The importance of work in my life took a dramatic drop and, to be honest, I don't mind one bit. I have actually set limits for myself as far as work goes. There were times when I worked 50-60 hours a week when deadlines were tight. Now I refuse to work any overtime at all. It's not worth it. My priorities changed.

As we examine ourselves, which the Bible tells us we should do, do we ever find ourselves lacking? I did. So I changed my priorities. So can you, if you find them out of order.

I saw a quote yesterday my Mohandas Gandhi, I think it's true. Our actions express our priorities.

What do our actions say about us? If we say we are Christians, God should be our top priority, yet I know Christians that don't go to church. They don't attend worship. We were created to worship! Our priorities tell other who we worship.

I know people at work who always seem to be at work. They are always in early. They always stay late. They work weekends too. The company loves them! Personally, I think their priorities are screwed up.

Our new grand daughter is redefining priorities for many people this week. And that's a very good thing. But let us always remember who is #1. The King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

"Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?" - 2 Corinthians 13:5

"33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." - Matthew 6:33

"So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it." - 2 Corinthians 5:9

Priorities

No comments:

Post a Comment