Saturday, July 22, 2017

Priorities

There is something hidden in this picture. Can you see it? It's the most important thing in my life, yet sometimes it takes a back seat to other things. I need to reassess my priorities.

I have now spent two weeks in my new "cube" at work. It's all new and fresh and I'm sure it's trendy and modern, just what our clients are hoping to see but . . . I hate it. I sit right out in the open with no privacy what so ever.  It seems like however designed it was more interested in making a statement than making workers comfortable. And WE designed it ourselves!! It makes me sad. It shouldn't be that way.

Here's something else that's sad. I'm a slob. I just dumped all of my cube items on the counter until I could figure out what to do with them. Look, there's my water bottle and my Tic Tacs, a coupon for a free ice cream cone at A&W and . . . the cross my daughter gave me. Oh . . . my. It shouldn't be that way either.

The cross is the reason I took this picture. It's just lying there with my junk. It should have been the first thing I thoughtfully placed on the wall. Instead, it's just there, semi-hidden behind a plastic up. Sad. I'M sad.

But isn't that how we are with our faith most of the time? We never put it on display for others to see. We just hide it in with our other stuff. We take it out on Sunday and maybe say a prayer if we get into trouble or need something we aren't sure we'll get. Is that faith? What IS faith?

Faith is defined as "having complete trust or confidence in someone or something." By that definition I can have faith in my wife, my car, my toilet (hey, it's a Kohler).  To say I have faith in God kind of diminishes God when I throw Him together with my car and my toilet. Kind of like my cross at work, partially hidden from view.

I think the operative word in the definition of faith is "complete". Complete trust. Do I have complete trust in my car? Well, no. My toilet? Well, it did break down that one time. By complete trust . . . do they mean , like, ALL the time? I think that's what complete means in this case.

If that's the case, I guess the only thing I have true faith in is God. He has never let me down. Rather, I think it is I who have let HIM down. My faith in God is not strong or complete enough to justify his choosing me to be one of His children. ALL the benefits that come with THAT distinction - a child of God - are innumerable.

So what should we do with our faith? I think we are called to wear it, always. I think we are supposed to wear it, continually.

"13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats"; do not be frightened.” 15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him." - 1 Peter 3:13-22

Noah's number one priority was God. Because of that he and his family survived the flood. If we are yto survive the "floods" in OUR lives, who should be OUR top priority?

Priorities - Francis Chan
God Is My Priority Now

No comments:

Post a Comment