Saturday, August 12, 2017

Rosie

Every once in a while we meet someone who changes our lives. As we watch them living their own lives they make us stop and think about how we are living OUR lives. They encourage us in some way. They can even make us alter how we walk with Jesus. One of those people, for me anyway, lives on Mackinac Island. Her name is Rosie.

My wife and I recently spent several days on Mackinac Island. We go there every four or five years, usually on milestone anniversaries or on special occasions. When we go to "the Island" we usually stay at the Bay View B&B. If you ever find yourself on Mackinac Island needing a place to stay, we'd highly recommend it. But back to my story.

We first became aware of Rosie about ten years ago. I was new in my walk with the Lord and was struggling to find a reason to enjoy being in a place that speaks "money". Huge houses, expensive yachts, the Grand Hotel are prominent features on Mackinac Island. We were just about to eat breakfast when I heard a voice singing in the kitchen. It was Rosie, although we didn't know it at the time.

"What was she singing?" I wondered, as I listened and ate my breakfast. Then I heard something familiar. Something angelic. It was a hymn. She was singing a hymn! Suddenly life on the island began to take on a whole new meaning. God had provided "the voice of one crying out in hte wilderness". That was lesson number one I learned from Rosie. Rejoice in the Lord, no matter where you are or what you are doing. Rejoice!

"4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:4-8

Rosie does just about everything at The Bay View. She cooks and bakes, she waters the plants. We even watched her heft our huge suitcase onto a bicycle to be taken to our boat! But the most memorable moment with Rosie was the day before we left when we talked about our faith in God on the front porch. That was special.

She shared how she had been adopted at a young age by a relative who was also a minister. After our talk I began to reflect on how ALL believers are actually adopted sons and daughters and just how special that is.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved." - Ephesians 1:3-6

I always enjoy how God brings people together for His ultimate glory and not always in the way we expect. But always in a way that is memorable. For example, one morning I had gone downstairs, hoping to speak to Rosie, but she was gone. Instead there was one of her helpers in the kitchen - Geneen.

Geneen is from Detroit. I asked her if she was there earning money for school. She said no - that she was from Detroit and was hoping to build a community center for her troubled city. What an amazing thing for a young person to want to do. And God had placed her at the Bay View under the watchful eye of Rosie - a willing mentor.


"Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6

Rosie, you are an amazing woman. Your faith springs forth like rays of sunshine after a rain. You mentor the young ladies who work with you, you are are a humble servant just like Jesus was, and you touch people, like you did me, simply through the sound of your voice singing God's praises.

Before we left the island, Rosie, my wife and I exchanged hugs. She called me "baby" and called my wife "baby girl". I simply call her amazing . . . and "sister". Love you Sis. :)

Amazing Grace - Anne Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment