Saturday, February 17, 2018

As For Me

It is less than six months now until I retire. People have been asking me what I'm going to do when I no longer have to go in to work. I'm not sure what they're expecting me to say because, when I give them my answer, they look at me funny. "I'm going to work!"

The way I see it I'm going to work harder AFTER I retire than I ever did before. That's because I'm going to love what I'll be doing. I'll be serving the Lord. Full time. And honestly, I can't wait.

Right now I always have my job in mind before committing to a meeting with someone or before volunteering somewhere. After I retire that commitment to work will no longer be there, so I can spend more time, and be more flexible with that time, serving Jesus.

I'm kind of excited at the prospect. Shouldn't we be excited for something like that?

Some guys I know do a lot of fishing when they retire. Some guys play a lot of golf. But as for me, I can think of nothing I'd rather do than make God smile.

14“Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” - Joshua 24:14-15

I don't think there can be anything better to do with one's time than to serve God in whatever capacity we can. And while I can serve God even while I am at work, I can serve God MORE by working less and serving more. Does that make sense?

May God's Holy Spirit keep after me and protect me from Satan's slothful desires for my life. We should work hard no matter what we do. It's just easier to serve . . . if it doesn't become work. :)

As For Me And My House - John Waller

No comments:

Post a Comment