Saturday, May 12, 2018

Bizarro World

What if there was a bizarro, parallel universe where everyone was the opposite of who we are? Where men would be women, and the women, men. The tall would be short and all of the crazy people would be the sane ones. I should probably stop right now before I get into trouble. Too late. I have an idea! Let's read some scripture!!

"22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools." - Romans 1:22

"25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator" - Romans 1:25

Did you see the news this week about the three Americans who had been held captive in North Korea? They were set free! What a wonderful thing. Yet I saw a news report of someone (U.S. senator Chuck Schumer) condemning the president for thanking Kim Jong Un for their release saying, "They shouldn't have been taken captive in the first place." Come on man!

I agree that they shouldn't have been detained, but shouldn't we celebrate their release? It reminds me of the story of the blind man and the Pharisees. The man whom Jesus healed said, "All I know is that I was blind and now I see."

One side celebrates, the other side couldn't be more upset. Bizarro world!

"24A second time they summoned the man who had been blind. “Give glory to God by telling the truth,” they said. “We know this man is a sinner.”

25He replied, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”

26Then they asked him, “What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?”

27He answered, “I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples too?”

28Then they hurled insults at him and said, “You are this fellow’s disciple! We are disciples of Moses! 29We know that God spoke to Moses, but as for this fellow, we don’t even know where he comes from.”
- John 9:24-29


The Pharisees wanted the formerly blind man to tell the truth. He had. Yet they didn't believe him because it was not THEIR truth. They should have been celebrating this man receiving his sight! Instead they hurled insults at the man and ultimately kicked him out of the synagogue. Ironically it was the Pharisees who were the blind ones.

In any battle each side believes it is right. Both sides have a truth they believe, yet there can only be ONE truth.

Is it possible to cross over from one side to the other? From one "truth" to another truth? Can our opinions of what is right and wrong be changed? Yes! How do I know? I once lived in Bizarro World. Then one day I met a man named Jesus. I became changed. The same thing can happen to you, if it hasn't already. How will you know? Well, you will begin to see that the truth actually DOES exist.

The truth does not exist in our perception of the truth, the truth exists in Christ. It IS Christ. There are those who choose to embrace that truth. And that is how God changes the world.

Upside Down - Jack Johnson
The Bizarro World - Seinfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment