Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Transitions

We go through many transitions in life. Some of them good, some of them not so good. Day changes to night, night to day. We transition from good health to bad and from bad to good. It seems as if we are in a constant state of change. That's because we are constantly morphing into some future version of ourselves - someone we have yet to be.

I currently have a cold. I used to be healthy but now I'm not. I know I'll get better based on my experiences with past colds but during an illness even God''s reassurances can seem pretty uncertain.

Sometimes we choose to change. Other times it gets thrust upon us without our asking. The weather transitions from sunny to cloudy and back again. If you think about it, just about everything changes. Except one thing. God. He NEVER changes.

"I the LORD do not change." - Malachi 3:6

Having a constant during times of change can be reassuring. When I retired my wife and I were a little unsure about our financial future. We had made plans for our transition from work to retirement but to actually go through it was another thing all together..

Cancer is a "transition" that gets forced upon us when we least expect it. My sister-in-law, my brother-in-law and my mother all have it. I can't even begin to comprehend the transitions they are going through.

When life's transitions take place it is always reassuring to have something remain constant. A mountain climber faces major transitions should things not go right during his climb. A piton, the metal anchor they use to fasten themselves to the rock, can provide security to the climber who is in danger. So can God provide security to us in this life.

God, who has already told us He does not change, offers us a secure transition between life and death and new life. All He asks is that you believe in Him.

In a world that's constantly changing how can we be sure of what lies ahead? If we place our faith in Christ we CAN be sure of one thing. Whatever changes come our way we know can get through them . . . with Him. He has promised. And He never lies, nor does He change.

How Can I Be Sure - The Young Rascals

No comments:

Post a Comment