Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Chicken Wings


One would think that, after 37 years of marriage, I could change out of my work clothes without my wife making a teasing comment about my body, but no!!

All I have to do quickly scoot across the hallway to the bathroom in my BVD's and she invariably screams, "Chicken legs!!"

I never really thought much about the diameter of my legs. Not until my wife made a point about them. But I guess I have skinny legs. So?

Now that I think of it, we humans call each other all kinds of various chicken parts. And we do it a lot!

Someone with a big nose might be said to have a rather large "beak."

Someone who is frightened easily might be called "chicken liver." Or the name caller might use the term for the whole bird and just call someone "chicken."

An older female human is sometimes called "an old hen" and her husband might be called "an old rooster" if he isn't careful.

Women are sometimes referred to as "chicks." And if they don't eat much we say they "eat like a chicken."

Where does all this name calling come from and where does it end? Can't we leave these poor chickens alone? We're acting like a bunch of politicians!

There are some chickens you don't want to mess around with. Tommy Lee Jones for example. He was a chicken in The Fugitive movie. Now there's one chicken you don't want to be calling names!

In the Bible, Jesus used a chicken analogy to relay His compassion for the people of Jerusalem.

37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 38 See, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’” - Matthew 23:37-39

I know what Jesus is talking about though. I look at all of the teens and young adults in this world who do not know Jesus. I see their indifference and their lack of desire to even consider the possibility of needing a Savior. I feel in MY heart those same words that Jesus uttered so long ago.

"Oh, (insert someone's name here), how often would I have gathered you together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" - Luke 13:34.

How I wish I could save these young people from the world that is about to eat them alive. I don't have that ability. But I know someone who CAN save them. I have to encourage my young friends to consider a meeting. And how do I do hat? I love them, just like Jesus loves me. I need to take that first step. I need to use my chicken legs and walk into someone's life. Today!

Or am I chicken?

Hen Gathering Chicks

No comments:

Post a Comment