Saturday, February 27, 2016

No Mountain High Enough

These days our main form of communication is phone based. Either it's the text or an instant message of some sort. Or we call each other. But that practice is dwindling in favor of the more impersonal communication means.

When was the last time you received or sent a personal letter? I mean actually sat down and thought about someone. Took the time to think of words to say that might bring a smile to their face. To offer, in your own hand-written words, expressions of love or thankfulness. Has it been a while? Has it been TOO long?

Recently a young friend of mine decided to quit smoking and also end her presence on Facebook. "Shedding negativity," she called it. Good for her! This world would be a better place if more of us did something like that.

Shortly after my friend's announcement about leaving Facebook, I was informed on Facebook that it was her birthday. Great. I had no way to wish my friend a happy birthday. Well, I did. But I would have to write her a letter . . . Hmm.

So I did just that. And what a blessing that turned out to be for both of us!

When was the last time YOU wrote a letter? That long, huh? If someone wrote you a letter, would you read it? Of course you would! Who wouldn't, right?

Did you know that God wrote all of us some letters? He did! 66 of them. Their all compiled for easy reading . . . in the Bible. So why don't we read it?

When I was in college my girlfriend wrote me letters. I read them over and over again. I imagined what she was doing when she wrote them. I could almost smell her perfume as I read the words, "I love you."

We simply don't seem to have that same zeal when it comes to God and our reading HIS love letters. Why is that?

Honestly, I think it's because we don't really believe He wrote them to us specifically. And that's too bad. Because He did.

The following is Romans 8, with a few added words by me . . .

"Dear you,

I would like to remind you once again my dear friend, that there is nothing that could ever separate us. Ever. Death cannot separate us nor life's struggles and trials, nor angels nor rulers. No event in the present or in the future. There is no power strong enough, no mountain high enough, no valley low enough. There is NOTHING in all creation that will be able to separate us from the love of God, as long as we are IN Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:37-39

Write someone a letter today and tell them that you love them. And try, just try, to beat those words written by Paul so very long ago.

"7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us." - 1 John 4:7-12

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment