Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Where Dreams Come From

In the moment, dreams can seem so real. We can wake up in the middle of the night and think the world is coming to an end, someone is trying to kill us or we are in love with the most beautiful person on the planet. In reality these things aren't actually happening, but in our minds . . . they are.

Where do dreams come from? That is a question that has haunted mankind for years. Personally, I think dreams begin in the kitchen. Last night my wife made a black beans and rice dish. It was good but maybe, at least in MY mind, it was TOO good. I had the weirdest dream!

My dream was not a typical dream. It contained some rather frightening moments of a spiritual nature. Things flying around, the threat of death was imminent. I remember waking up, glancing around the room and then getting up to go to the bathroom.

Before I came back to bed though I went out into the dining room and grabbed my Bible off the table and brought it back to bed with me. I remember holding it to my chest - covering my heart with it - and praying a prayer while holding by "double-edged sword."

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12

What sorts of things do YOU dream about? DO they make sense when you are trying to describe them to someone else? Are they ever SO real you thought for sure they really happened?

Scientists still don't know where dreams come from. They can measure brain activity during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep and have related those activities to dreams, but no one really knows how dreams begin.

There are stories out of the Middle East where Muslims have come to faith in Christ through dreams. Wow! That raises an interesting question. If God is indeed spirit, can His Holy Spirit come to us in our dreams? And if so, what do we do with those dreams? Do we take action on them during our waking moments?

I believe that God can do anything. That belief draws EVERYTHING into the realm of possibilities. The dreams we dream . . . could they be reality in another dimension? Could God be trying to tell us something, while we sleep? The Bible proves that He does indeed do that sort of thing.

12 “A word was secretly brought to me, my ears caught a whisper of it. 13 Amid disquieting dreams in the night, when deep sleep falls on people, 14 fear and trembling seized me and made all my bones shake. 15 A spirit glided past my face, and the hair on my body stood on end. 16 It stopped, but I could not tell what it was. A form stood before my eyes, and I heard a hushed voice: 17 ‘Can a mortal be more righteous than God? Can even a strong man be more pure than his Maker? 18 If God places no trust in his servants, if he charges his angels with error, 19 how much more those who live in houses of clay, whose foundations are in the dust, who are crushed more readily than a moth! 20 Between dawn and dusk they are broken to pieces; unnoticed, they perish forever." - Job 4:12-20

When we dream, what do we dream about? WHO do we dream about? Is it ourselves and some fantasy we have? Or do we dream about God and what it will be like in heaven? Dreams can mean many things. They don't necessarily translate into a call to arms but often they can create in us a call to think. And perhaps that where our thoughts and dreams begin, with our eternal Dream Weaver Himself.

Dream Weaver - Gary Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment