Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Hey, I Have An Idea!

A few weeks ago I wrote a story called Where Dreams Come From. This will be a similar story, yet it will be amazingly different. This story is about . . . ideas, and their source.

“If you have money, power, and status today, it is due to the century and place in which you were born, to your talents and capacities and health, none of which you earned. In short, all your resources are in the end the gift of God.” Tim Keller

I was driving through the pre-dawn darkness on my way to work this morning when I suddenly had an idea. I wasn't thinking about anything in particular, yet all of a sudden, boom, I had an idea. Let's start a greeting card company! What!?! Where the heck did THAT idea come from? A greeting card company? That idea, like all other ideas, come from God. Let me explain. Let's begin at the idea and navigate our way back to the source.

Last night my wife told me I had received some mail. It's always good to get mail from someone. Usually. This was good though. A hand-written envelope, a familiar name in the return address. Someone I care about had sent me a letter!

When I opened the envelope I discovered my "letter" was actually a card, and a beautifully hand-made one at that. The hand written message inside was an invitation to lunch from someone who missed me. How wonderful! How nice it is to be loved!

A few weeks ago I had received ANOTHER card from, someone. Hmm. Two hand-made cards from two separate individuals. Why would two people send me cards, suddenly, after receiving nothing from them before? Ever. Why now? And what's the connection?

Well, the two people who sent me the cards actually do know each other. As a matter of fact they are best friends. They actually made the cards together, at the same time. It's like they had a purpose in mind when they made them. Both cards were beautiful, reflections of the people who made them.

I have a friend at work. She is MY best friend. Together, we have formed an organization called We Build (look for us on Facebook). Our focus is on young adults, helping them get started in this world and doing so in the name of Jesus. These two young ladies and their greeting cards are just one example of young adults with Go-given gifts and abilities, just not know how to apply them.

God created people. To each He gave different gifts and abilities. How could God reach these two young ladies and use them for His glory? He gives an old man (me) an idea and a passion for helping young people get started in this fallen world. Imagine, these young people, both of them with little or no faith, creating faith-based greeting cards. Imagine them doing researching and writing Bible verses in cards created by their amazingly gifted human hands bringing glory to God and love to others. Does that sounds like something God might do? Oh yeah. Please pray.

I would be willing to bet that if you examine your ideas . . . or should I say God's, Godly ideas, those "where did THAT come from" ideas, you will find God and the center of it all. In the meantime, watch your mailboxes. Perhaps God will be sending YOU an idea!

“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” - Colossians 3:23-24

Where Good Ideas Come From - Steven Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment