Monday, April 11, 2016

Casting Crowns

I have a hard time accepting compliments. I tend to get embarrassed and kind of brush them off with a "Nah" or an "It was nothing." It kind of feels good inside to be thanked or complimented but I also find it kind of awkward. I don't know what to say most of time.

Someone once heard me hemming and hawing once after receiving a compliment and they pulled me aside and offered some advice. Words I still remember to this day. They went something like this.

"Bob, you have to let people thank you. They appreciate something you have done and want to thank you for it. Allow them to thank you. Then take those crowns and lay them at the feet of Jesus."

I really had no idea what my friend meant by "crowns" until I began seeing the word "crowns" as I was reading through the Bible.

"4 And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory." - 1 Peter 5:4

"12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. " - James 1:12

There are a whole lot of references to crowns in the Bible. But this one in The Book of Revelation struck a chord with me because it made me remember my friend's advice

"9 And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

11 “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.” - Revelation 4:9-11

One of my favorite bands has the name Casting Crowns. Interesting. The word "casting" has two meanings. You can "cast" something in a foundry. Pouring molten metal into a mold. Basically creating something. A second meaning is in the world of fishing. One can "cast" or throw their fishing lure into the water. So, the things we "make" or cast are to be cast, or thrown, or more appropriately, placed at the feet of Jesus.

Whatever we do in this world, let it be for God and His glory. Whenever someone thanks us for doing something, let us accept that thanks on behalf of our God and King. And when we get to heaven, let us lay all such crowns at His feet. It is for HIS glory that we serve others, not our own. Let us give Him the thanks and praise He deserves. Always.

East To West - Casting Crowns

We Fall Down - Kutless

No comments:

Post a Comment