Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Rocky Path

I went for a 15-mile hike this past weekend. The weather was nice for a change. But taking a hike that day was a mistake. Why? Because my over exuberance for hiking outweighed my preparedness for it. Now, I find myself reminded of that TOO-LONG hike with every step I take - walking on the blisters that were formed on my not-ready-for-walking feet.

The length of my hike that day was due more to a "lack of scale" on the map I was using than it was to manly endurance. It's always best to build up one's endurance before hiking such long distances. And the wisdom it takes to use it.

The Ice Age Trail I walk on contains many different types of terrain - rocky formations, grassy savannahs, moist swampland, forest paths and asphalt roads. Each type of terrain has its own characteristics and hazards. And a hiker must be prepared for them all.

As Christians we must also be prepared for the variety of things we encounter on our walk with Jesus. Spiritual warfare, political correctness, sexual sin, greed, pride . . . there are many things to trip us up along the way. SO, how do we keep from tripping all over them as we walk along life's pathway?

  1. Pray - Pray to God that He would keep us from falling, that He would guide our steps. "The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way;" - Proverbs 37:23
  2. Read - Spend time in God's Word. The truth you will find their will illuminate you walk. "105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." - Psalm 119:105
  3. Focus - Keep on the lookout for stumbling blocks. God's creation is beautiful to look at but if we aren't watching where our feet are stepping we can easily stumble. "14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14
  4. Endure - However long our walk is we need to endure to the end of it. "4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:4
A good, healthy, well thought out spiritual walk is essential in the life of a Christian. Watch every step to make sure it is fully planted and then walk on in the presence of the Lord. He leads us. We are the ones who must follow.

Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment