Monday, October 24, 2016

A Servant's Heart

I was a little early to church yesterday morning. I'm not sure why I was so early but perhaps it was so I could witness a couple of things I wouldn't have seen otherwise. The first thing I saw was a police car parked the parking lot and the lady police officer was talking to another lady.

"Speeding to church?" I thought. No. The two ladies were sisters and they were just chatting. I love living in a small town. :) Then I noticed one of the elders on the playground equipment. No, he wasn't swinging or climbing on the monkey bars. He was wiping down the dew-covered slide for the kids to play on after the service. Two examples of people serving others and I hadn't even walked into church yet!

A servant's heart is evidence of God's Holy Spirit and a transformed life. These two people were serving other, not because they HAD to, but because the WANTED to.

Serving others becomes second nature after a while. A person gets used to doing things for other so often that service becomes a part of who that person is. Can you name any servants in YOUR life? I can name a few.

There are some people who simply go to church. Then there are others who ARE the church. They're the ones who volunteer so others don't have to do the work and can enjoy the service. It's the ladies in the nursery, it's the Sunday school teachers, the people who clean the church when no one is watching.

D. L. Moody once said that, "Character is what you are in the dark." When people are watching we are always on our best behavior. But when we are home by ourselves we can lead totally different lives.

When I think of a servants heart I think of someone who always puts others first. I think that's great. Allowing others to go before them in line at the grocery store,  Opening a door for someone who has their hands full. Acts of random kindness and service are getting harder and harder to find these days and that's a shame.

We are called to love one another. Not as the world loves but as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as an atoning sacrifice.

"1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." - Ephesians 5:1-2

Imagine a political debate based on self-sacrifice and serving others. Things would be totally different if we thought about others before we would think about ourselves.

I have a sweat shirt that say "I Am Second" on the front. That doesn't go far enough. It should say, "I Am Last."

"16 So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.” - Matthew 20:16

Be on the lookout for those elusive servants of God. Their numbers are dwindling. It you see one, tell them, "I saw that!" On second thought you'd better not. They like to work in secret so no one knows it was them.
 
Special Athlete featuring 'Get Back Up' by TobyMac

No comments:

Post a Comment