Monday, October 17, 2016

I Miss You

As we live our lives we can sometimes leave an impression on others. Sometimes this impression is good. Sometimes it is bad. When you think of someone, what feelings come to mind? Do you remember good times or bad? Happy? Or sad?

Look at your list of friends on Facebook. When was the last time you saw them? When was the last time you sat down with them and had a real conversation with them? When was the last time you  prayed for them? Or better yet, WITH them?

Our lives can seem to be all about us most of the time. WE are always here. But our friends and family members are not always with us. In those quiet moments when we are by ourselves, that's the time we miss our friends and family. That's the time we wish we could be talking to them. To give them a hug and to just BE with them.

Who was the last person you talked with? A spouse? A close friend? When was the last time you sat down with someone and had a conversation over lunch or coffee?

One of the most common comments I hear from kids who graduated high school is, "All of my friends have left me." People go their own ways, they get jobs, they move away, the enlist in the military. They are gone and we miss them.

So, how do we fix that? How can we fill the empty holes in our hearts? Well, the first thing you can do is reach out to those you miss. When they pop into your head, message them. Let them know you miss them and are thinking about them.

The second thing you can do is get involved someplace by volunteering. You have heard me write before about my volunteering at Ruby's Pantry - a local food pantry for those in need of food. I leave that place each month feeling great. Why? Because I have loved others. I have listened to their stories. I have prayed with them. They have become friends and have helped fill the holes in my heart left there by the laving of others.

Jesus commanded us to "love one another." That guy knew what He was talking about! There is great joy to be found in loving those around us. If you have a hole in your heart left there by someone you once called friend, fill it.

My challenge for you today is to tell someone that you love them. But do more than that. Do it in person. Let them see you smile. Give them a hug. Let them know that the love of Christ is in you by showing it to someone today.

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35



No comments:

Post a Comment