Saturday, December 16, 2017

Touch

If you will pardon the pun, today's message is kind of a touchy subject. You see, I have this theory about touching. No, it's not the kind of touching that's been all over the news lately. That's bad. I'm writing about touching someone's heart.

My wife and I were talking the other night about this very topic. She related a story about another lady at church who had given her a hug. This lady told my wife that, when she came to the church for the first time, my wife went over and sat by her to make her feel at home. That meant a lot to this particular lady and now she and my wife hug each other every Sunday. My wife touched someone's heart.

My boss at work is a good friend. We have known each other a long time so when he developed some medical issues I got a little concerned. I went into his office and listened to him talk about his fears for his wife and family should something happen to him. I prayed for him right there, placing my arm around his shoulder. After the prayer he gave me a hug and said, "Love you, bud."

Do you see a pattern here? First there was a non-physical "embrace" of the heart - thinking about the other person's needs. Then came a physical touch - a hug - showing gratitude and thanks for what one person did for another.

The world offers a different kind of love. All these celebrities and politicians getting in trouble for their sexual misconduct. They did not follow the two steps outlined above. They failed on step one when they placed their own desires above the desires of the other person.

Jesus loves us unconditionally. When there are no conditions and no selfish, sinful thoughts in our relationships, it's easy to feel loved knowing that someone actually does love us.

Think about little children and the innocent love they show others. That's the way WE should love. The way the kids in the following passage of scripture approached Jesus is the way WE should act to everyone we meet.

"13 Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.
14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there." - Matthew 19:13-15

How will you and I touch someone's heart today?

No comments:

Post a Comment