Saturday, June 9, 2018

The Parable of The Peony

Today's story is an example of how God works in our lives. Often unnoticed, especially in times of trouble and strife, God is right there with us. The blessings that God can shower upon us, although sometimes spectacular, are usually more subtle in nature. Yet they are just as amazing when we realize that God DOES care.

Before I can tell you this amazing God story, let me set the stage for it. Two of our family members are currently battling cancer - my mother and my brother-in-law. Needless to say our thoughts have been focused on them and our prayers have been sent to God on their behalf.

Cancer can be overwhelming. An uninvited guest, it rarely leaves when we want it to. We can become so focused on thinking and praying that we can miss God's reassurances when they appear right in front of us. Like this week at our house.

My wife came in, almost crying, from the front yard. "I can't believe it! I finally get a bud on my peony and the deer ate it! Everybody else's yard has peony's in bloom but not us. Nooo!"

She was REALLY upset. So, when she left to visit her dad in Milwaukee, I had an idea.

Several years ago I had noticed a random peony plant growing in the woods behind our house. Why it was where it was I didn't know. Until the other day. I grabbed a bucket and a shovel and started walking to where I remembered the plant was. And guess what . . . it was still there!

There were actually four peony plants hidden in the underbrush. So I began to dig one up. That's when I noticed the mushroom - a Morel mushroom. A rare delicacy. A Treasure!

After I got done transplanting the peony I returned for the mushroom. "That's weird," I thought. In our 30 years of living here I had never scene Morel mushrooms. And why was there just one? There had to be more so I looked. And there were. Yumm!

Do you think that God rewards us for our good deeds? I believe it to be true. So did King Solomon.

"The generous soul will be made rich, And he who waters will also be watered himself." - Proverbs 11:25

Do something for someone else today. It can be just a simple thing like giving someone a flower. My wife's reaction when she saw the peony in our yard was worth all the mosquito bites I received. God's reaction was unexpected too and much appreciated.

We will be blessed simply by helping someone else. So, what are we waiting for? The day is young and the opportunities are many. Let's go!

Happiness Is Helping Others

No comments:

Post a Comment