Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Sacrifice of Family

Okay. Let's see. Where was I before leaving for my mother's burial? Well, I missed posting a story on Monday. Also, my laptop broke in half, but I rigged something up using an old CRT monitor - for just such an occasion as this! However the image on the screen is convulsing so this may be a really short story. LOL! AND near the end of today's story my computer actually died. Three hours later, I am coming to you from our basement using an old Windows XP computer. Had to download a new browser, delete all my cookies so . . . FINALLY, here it is.
-------------------------------------
It is good to be home. All the miles my wife and I logged during this last week approached the 2,000 mile mark. :O But all the travel was well worth it for all of the love we received at my mom's funeral. The sacrifice of family touched our hearts.

I was doing pretty good that day - keeping my emotions in check pretty well - until all the people started showing up. Kari Lyn, a distant cousin, came from Southern Michigan. several hours in a car, leaving her parents behind whom she cares for.

Then I saw my cousin Jeff and his sister Cathi walk in. They had a longer drive - southeast Michigan and Ohio. Jeff saved my life when we were in our early teens. No big deal for him. Just helping someone out. It was a BIG deal for me, nearly drowning in the local swimming hole.

Then there was William, a strapping young man, the son of my cousin. William is in the army, stationed in Tennessee, but said he "had to drive home home for Aunt Jane." I think I gave him four hugs while he was there. We then honored his love for my mom by asking him to be one of the pall bearers.

But the one visit had us ALL teary-eyed and in shock was when William's sister Sarah came walking through the door. Her left leg was bandaged from the tip of her toe all the way up to her hip. She had just gotten out of the burn unit at a hospital a few hours earlier. The adhesive residue was still on her arm where the IV was and the identification bracelet was still on her wrist. She had been burned in a workplace accident by 300-400 degree grease.

My young cousin was in tremendous pain yet she came to pay her last respects to my mom and our family. She sacrificed her comfort to comfort others. Wow!

All these people attending my mother's funeral, sacrificing their time just to show how much my mom meant to them. What a wonderful way to demonstrate their love. It reminded me of when Jesus died. He sacrificed Himself that day to demonstrate His love for us. In turn, the disciples sacrificed THEIR lives for Him to proclaim the Gospel. Do we sacrifice OUR lives for Jesus to demonstrate our love for HIM?

I need to examine myself a little closer. Where do I come up lacking in MY sacrifice to others? Sarah's example of sacrifice and the sacrifice of all my family members, will forever be in my heart.

"15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another." - Romans 12:15-16

O The Blood - Gateway Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment