Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Law

(sarcasm warning) People love me. That's so awesome! And nowhere is it more evident than while I am driving to work. People flash their headlights at me when they see me, probably in recognition of their great love. They wave at me, sometimes waving with just one finger. Apparently I am number one in their lives. Cool. Some people even tailgate me. I'm sure that's out of love too, just wanting to be near me I guess. And these people don't even know me! It's just awesome!!

And what did I do to deserve such a "following?" Such exuberant attention? Well, I chose to actually drive the speed limit. Try it sometime. You'll be amazed at the reactions.

Where are people going in such a hurry anyway? When I am traveling the roadways I assume most of them are going to work. Hurrying to go to work? Really? Regardless of destination, people in general are in a tremendous rush. To the point where they are willing to break the law to get there are fast as they can.

Most of us, I guess, are pretty much law-abiding citizens. Most of us haven't killed anyone or robbed a bank. We haven't embezzled large sums of money or taken someone hostage and demanded money in exchange for their release. Or have we?

I know this one girl who holds her breathe until she gets what she wants. Where did she learn that? It's really extortion . . . and extortion, blackmail, is against the law. Silly kids.

Have you ever made copies at work of your kids football schedule? Made a copy of your tax return? Have you ever printed off a personal e-mail, or an interesting story LIKE THIS ONE, so you could save it or read it later? Ever PAY for those copies? Have you ever downloaded music or ripped a friend's CD so you could get the songs for free rather than buying the CD yourself?

John Cooper, the lead singer of the band Skillet, once asked the crowd if they had purchased the latest Skillet CD. The crowd roared. Then he asked, "And how many of you have downloaded our songs illegally, breaking the eighth commandment?" There was some general laughter but, truth be told, probably MANY people had done that. And the crowd was largely made up of  Christians!

Truth be told, we are probably ALL guilty of breaking the law, SOME law, every day of our lives. Do you remember the parable Jesus told in Luke 18 about the rich ruler?

"And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.” When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.

What law had this man broken? Any ideas? He told Jesus he had kept the commandments since his youth. Every commandment, that is, except the very first commandment - You shall have no other God's before me. This man's god was his money.

So this morning I ask this question: What is YOUR God? What is the idol YOU worship? Is it work? Is it spending time watching TV instead of reading God's Word? Or will it be adultery today . . . simply looking at someone with lustful thoughts in your heart. Will it be stealing. No? How accurately will you fill out your taxes this year? Did you pay for that paperclip at work? And that roll of company toilet paper on your desk because you're too cheap to buy your own Kleenex? What about murder? Pretty safe there, right? God's Word says that even if you hate someone you have committed murder in your heart (1 John 3:15).

Let's face it. We're ALL guilty. How could ANY of us possibly get to heaven based upon God's criteria and our own works . . . our own sins. None of us can. But there is HOPE. :)

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8

God provided a way for us. A way out of the darkness that is so prevalent in our world today - His one and only Son. Christ died for us on the cross. He rose from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of The Father.

Each of us is deserving of death in the eyes of God. And that is what we will receive. Unless . . . unless someone intercedes for us. It is our faith in Him that saves us. It is our making Jesus lord of our lives that saves us. We need Jesus. We need . . . an intercessor.

Eric Ludy - Intercessor

 

No comments:

Post a Comment