Monday, December 19, 2016

And Then It Snowed

We had a big snow storm this past weekend. The weather experts were predicting a foot of the white stuff for us but I think we only got seven or eight inches total. Still, driving around in all that slippery stuff was definitely interesting. Cars in the ditches, dead batteries, snow plow drivers working all day long!

I was walking through a field the other day after a snowfall. I never saw the hole in the ground, under the snow, until I stepped in it. Snow can cover lots of things. Lots of bad things.

My wife and I burned a large brush pile a month or so ago. The ground was charred black and covered with ashes.You can't tell that today after the snow. Everything is all white and clean looking.

Our faith in Jesus has done that for us. God's grace and mercy on us when we come to Him covers over a multitude of sins - just like the snow! Amazing, that grace. :)

Most of my life I walked around with the weight of some stupid things I did as a teenager. Bad things. It was a heavy burden to bear. Yet, through Christ, those sins were forgiven and forgotten "as far as the east is from the west."

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28. That verse has little meaning unless you have personally had your own burden lifted.

As we look out over the hills and valleys during our next snow storm, let us remember God's grace and mercy. Let us remember His promise to take away our sin and make us clean. Jesus made that possible for us when he died on that cross. He came at Christmas to die in our place so that we might have a path to receive eternal life with Him in heaven.

I once was dirty, covered in shame, but by coming to Jesus my sins have been covered by a blanket of pure white. Sins, no more to be seen by the eyes of God, have been covered for us by the shed blood of Christ. Rejoice in that this Christmas and remember the cross where they nailed the baby He gave. For you. For me. For all mankind.

“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." - Isaiah 1:18

Come To Me - Aaron Shust
East To West - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment