Saturday, September 23, 2017

A Light In The Darkness

We've all been there at one time or another - sad, depressed and alone. We get into certain moods where we're not really happy OR sad. Just kind of floating along, in neutral.

We find ourselves staring out windows, watching the world go by. Not really blinking as we look. That would wreck the mood we're in.

I was in one of those moods Thursday morning. On my way to work in the pre-dawn darkness. It had rained the night before. Everything was wet and foggy. Wet, foggy and dark. Perfect weather for feeling depressed.

I'm trying to build a tiny home and am at the point where I need some help. I can build the walls all by myself. That's not a problem. My struggle comes when trying to tip up the walls and put them into place - at LEAST a two-man job. Three would be better.

So I created a Facebook event and thought I'd have a wall building party on Saturday. Today. As of Friday nobody had signed up to come. Looks like I'll be building the walls all by myself.

That's how I was feeling Thursday morning driving in to work. Sad, alone, depressed. But then something happened. The dark interior of my car lit up. It was an incoming text from a friend at work, wanting to know if I'd like some breakfast. The text couldn't have come at a more perfect time.

I smiled.

We all have times like that, when it seems as if we're all alone. That's when God does some of his best work. It's during the depressing times, during the struggles,  that we reach out to God in our darkness.

Elijah struggled with being alone. He was a prophet bringing bad news to the people of Israel. Everybody hated him for the messages he delivered from God. HE was alone in HIS darkness and ended up hiding in a cave. But then God delivered a message to Elijah, letting him know that he was NOT alone!

"18 Yet I will leave 7,000 in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not kissed him.” - 1 Kings 19:18

We can often think that we are alone but God always seems to have some people in reserve for us to lean on. My friend Gayle is one such friend in MY life. And, of course, God Himself. How many times have I turned to Him in need? Who are your friends? . . . the ones YOU lean on? And do we lean on God as much as we do our earthly friends? Probably not. Not to the extent that we should.

When we find ourselves feeling alone, let us reach out to Jesus. He is not only our Lord and Savior but He is our friend. He wants nothing more than for you to reach out in the darkness. If you have never done so, do so today. He will ALWAYS answer your call.

Oh, and last night my phone lit up again. It was another friend offering to help build some walls with me.

I smiled.

See? God DOES provide. :)

"29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." - Luke 12: 29-31

Reach Out In The Darkness - Friend and Lover

2 comments:

  1. I had a day like that too. It was Wednesday and being alone for my birthday was not a pleasant thought. Missing my son, and other things. Then that text came in. It was from Michelle Paulman. Perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is amazing, the way He orchestrates people and things in our lives. I have found that the more I focus on Him, the other things become less depressing. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness." - 2 Corinthians 12:9 :)

      Delete