Saturday, March 3, 2018

So Who Are You?

Until yesterday I didn't even knew her name. Come to think of it, I have never actually seen her face either. She was always wearing a mask. Yet she seemed familiar to me, like we had met before, but we hadn't. Like we knew each other all our lives, but we didn't. Like we were . . . family.

This old body of mine was in the shop for some repair work this month. Physical therapy for my aching shoulder. As I sat in the waiting room for my first appointment a grey-haired woman came towards me wearing a mask. The per-registration lady for my physical therapist.

"What are you reading?" she asked.

"The Bible. The Book of Revelation," I replied.

"Ooooooh! That's wonderful . . . . Brother."

It says in The Book of Ephesians that all believers in Jesus Christ will be sealed. Hmm. I wonder. What if "the seal" was in our brains or our hearts? And what if we would just KNOW who other believers were.

Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty that my masked friend and I knew that the other was a believer just by having a two minute conversation.

"And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit," - Ephesians 1:13

Does God's Holy Spirit allow us to recognize other believers? I think He does! Are all brothers and sisters linked in some subconscious way, joined together in one eternal family through the Holy Spirit? I think we are!

Before I left my new-found sister yesterday we had a brief conversation.

 "What church do you go to?" she asked.

"Calvary Chapel - Waupaca"

"What!?! We go to Calvary Chapel - Appleton!"

"What's your pastor's name?"

"Pastor Dave."

"Yes! I heard his wife speak at a women's conference in Green Lake. Wonderful woman ."

"Vicki."

"YES!"

I suppose we could have talked all day but it was time to get back to work. I gave her a hug and said, "Your name. I don't even know your name."

"Sherry."

"Well, see you later Sherry (in heaven). It was nice to meet you."

I will most likely never see my "sister" again - in this life. That's okay. I will see her again in heaven. I will get to meet her husband and hear about their kids. And we all can sit around, talking about our amazing God who provides for our every need and protects us from the evil one. And the fact that He has adopted us into His family, in love.

Oh, and how will those people who do NOT believe in Jesus. How will they know we are Christians? That one's easy. By our love. Our love for one another - believers and non-believers alike.  "They will KNOW that we are Christians by our love."

By Our Love - For King And Country

No comments:

Post a Comment